Sony Cyber-shot Concert Settings???

Discussion in 'Photography' started by r41pi, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r41pi

r41pi Member

Hi All,
    I'm new here. I need some help with information on the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W80. I got my daughter tickets to a Hannah Montana concert for her birthday and would like to get the best possible pictures I can. If anyone can suggest what settings to put the camera on that would be great.
    About 45% of my photos over Christmas didn't turn out. Probally due to low light and fast movements of the subjects and/or me. I was experimenting with the settings to see which ones worked. Well, I never got that figured out. Anyway, I thought I might need some help for this little project.

Any suggestions would be great. I searched the forums and found some info that was greek to me.

2. r41pi

r41pi Member

Ok, so I'm playing with my camera and these are my options:

Under My ISO setting on the dial:

Image Size: I have it set on 7m.
    Oev: I have it set on 0.
    WB auto: I have it set on this one.
    Sunlight
    Cloudy
    Fluorescent Light 1
    Fluorescent Light 2
    Fluorescent Light 3
    Incandescent

Suggestions?

3. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Well since there will probably be relatively low light you will need to be a bit careful with the settings you use. Luckily, that camera has image stabilization which will help with "camera shake" when using slower shutter speeds.

The problem here is, that since we do not know the exact lighting conditions at the concert we cannot definitely recommend specific settings to use at the concert. My recommendation would be to read the camera manual and see if there are any "scene" modes for concerts, low-light or night time and use those at the concert.

Also, try not to use the zoom much as the chance for a blurry picture will increase the more you zoom, try to take pictures at full wide angle.

4. r41pi

r41pi Member

Hi usapatriot,

It does have a twilight and a twilight portrait. But on that one you don't have the option for wb. It just gives you the Oev -2 thru +2 settings. I've looked through the handbook, and all that I can find is:

Twilight: Shoot night scenes at far distance w/o losing the dark atmosphere of the surroundings.
    and
    Twilight Portrait: Suitable for shooting portraits in dark places. Allows you to shoot shart images of people in dark places w/o losing the dark atmosphere of the surroundings.
    So, since our seats are not that close use twilight?
    What would you suggest for the Oev?

Thanks for your help.

5. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

I would pick the Twilight Portrait. I am not sure I understand the Oev setting, is it the white balance?

6. r41pi

r41pi Member

I think it stands for exposure value. not really sure. In the handbook it says adjusting the light value. And then some stuff about exposure, shutter speed, aperture and ISO sensitivity. Which I think I have a basic understanding of. Then it all gets confusing. It doesn't ever say that if it's low light you should compensate by using the -2 setting on ev. And if its bright white light that you should use +2 on ev. Which I think is what it means. Does that make sense? Is it right?

7. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

It makes sense to be exposure compensation. If so I would tell you to tend to overexpose the pictures, though its hard to give an amount. Honesly, I would tell you to look for a spot metering setting, then aim for the targets face. This should help the most.

8. r41pi

r41pi Member

Thanks so much for your help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.