Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H3 Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by David Rasnake, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H3 is yet another take on the emerging compact ultra-zoom theme, sporting a 10x optical zoom in a larger compact-camera package. Amid some other, more prominent entries into this field, the Sony seems to have been often lost in the mix. Even with some tough competition and nagging questions about high-ISO image quality and interface performance, however, the 8.1 megapixel H3 looks like it brings enough pocket-sized power, building on the obvious draw of a 10x zoom in a compact body, to set itself apart.

Read the full content of this Article: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H3 Review

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  2. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

Re: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H3 Review

Very nice review. 10x is attractive, but you have to have a great base camera before you can worry about the lens. I'm curious though, why would you want to simulate a fisheye mode?

3. David Rasnake

Thanks. It's a neat, if somewhat overdone these days, artistic effect for wide shots - landscapes and such - as well as urban photography. The example I used was at a pretty extreme setting, but softened up it adds some nice subtlety. I guess it saves buying an add-on lens if you're into that kind of stuff.

dr

4. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

It's really just another mediocre camera!

Please stop our mediocre point and shoot digital camera overlords!!!

5. David Rasnake

It's a little ho-hum, but I'm not sure that "mediocre" is fair. This camera does what it does reasonably well. There are compromises with every compact, and some of the compromises on this one are ones that I'm not willing to make, but I could do a fair amount of my regular shooting with this camera just fine. I stand by the statement that in the TZ3/SX100 group, the H3 is worth a look.

Still, I appreciate the sentiment, usapatriot: I'll say that, personally, few aspects of this camera really inspired me. We all know that the compact market has exploded in the last year, and there are lots of cameras with similar specs and image quality out there, but this trend continues because these kind of cameras are broadly popular. On the one hand, I can see why; on the other, it's hard to get excited about many of these (very similar) cameras.

Just my two cents...
    dr

6. zephyrus17

zephyrus17 Member

What would be a non-mediocre point and shooot camera, then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.