Sony DSC-G1: WiFi...really?

Discussion in 'Sony' started by tweezer, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tweezer

tweezer Member

Greetings all,

Hoping somone can help here with advice..

I just bought (and received!) a new DSC-G1 and so far it's been terrefic. The camera functionality is just what our small family is after.

The issue I am having is the connectability to my home wireless network. Actually that's not entirely ture: I can successfully pickup my home access point and view shared images from the camera to my desktop or LAPTOP (with the correct software, like CyberLink's softDMA, etc).

But I can't seem to figure out how to transfer images or files from the cam to the PCs...

Has anyone had success connecting a PC to the camera for image transfers?
    One way I can think of would be to "trick" My Network Places into mapping the cam as a network drive and then selecting the images to share on the camera itself...?

Any thoughts would be GRATEFULLY appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

I don't actually have the camera, but I was browsing through the G1 manual and actually didn't see anything about transferring images. I saw the collaboration mode, and sharing images to DLNA-compliant devices, but nothing about actually transferring images.

Is there anything in the Sony software that gets installed on your computer to do this?

If there isn't a way, that seems pretty strange.

3. tweezer

tweezer Member

There are a couple of programs that are loaded --from what i can tell they are simply picture/album viewing and editing. I havent' fooled around in those too much; the manual references those programs for transferring using the USB cable.

Agreed that it seems odd that file transferring would not be possible via WiFi...:confused:

searching for that Sony DSC-G1 pro... :cool:

4. samlat

samlat New Member

Hi Tweezer

I just got mine G1 today. I am facing the same issue. Please let me know if you have figured it out how send pictures thru WiFi to PC Folder.
    Also, I can't even view the pictures on PC. When I say share on Camera, in my Network Neighborhood I see the Camera and when I click it, the Midea player open up with my default Liberary list but not the pictures from the camera.

Anyone help will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
    Sam
    latif_saqib@hotmail.com

5. tweezer

tweezer Member

Anyone? help... :confused:

6. robertloll

robertloll New Member

Try SimpleCenter 4.2 at http://www.simplecenter.net.

It's not perfect, but it is free and allows you to transfer pictures from your DSC-G1 to your computer. Unfortunately, the DSC-G1 appears to require an access point wireless connection and will not connect to an ad hoc wireless network. I have not found a way around this yet, although I have experimented with software access point solutions (i.e., softap, etc.).

7. tweezer

tweezer Member

robertloll-

Thanks a ton for the link. trying it now!
    will post back when i figure it out :)

8. tweezer

tweezer Member

works great Robert! thanks so much... :D

9. robertloll

robertloll New Member

Hi Tweezer:

To transfer files using WiFi, put your DSC-G1 in file transfer mode by hitting the Home button, going to Toolbox, and selecting the submenu Share Images. You'll get a Connect to Network dialog box. If you have your network access point connection set up, select OK. If not, you can set it up by selecting Access Point. You then need to select images or albums to share. Shared images will have an orange marker in front of the album with a symbol in the lower right corner of each shared image.

Once that is done, your DSC-G1 should how up in SimpleCenter (or Home Media Server -- its other name). In SimpleCenter, select Devices from the upper tabs. Your DSC-G1 should be shown in the tree on the left. Select your DSC-G1 in the tree and you should get a right hand window with two tabs - General Information and Copy From Device. By selecting the Copy From Device tab, you should be able to see your Device Contents and select files for copy to your computer.

Hope this helps.

10. robertloll

robertloll New Member

Hi Tweezer - I didn't see your reply before I posted mine. I'm glad that you got it working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.