1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.
  2. Due to platform maintenance, the forum will be inaccessible for about 10 minutes beginning about 2 p.m. Sorry for any inconvenience! We'll remove this notice when work is complete.

Sony DSC-WX-150 (Importing AVCHD to Windows 7)

Discussion in 'Sony' started by synoptic12, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. synoptic12

synoptic12 Member

This is my first thread posted. I wish to thank the administrator for the courtesy of enabling my account.
    My first question would be: 1. Can you import video (AVCHD) via the supplied usb cable? I recently purchased this camera (Sony-DSC-WX150). The manual states you can import videos to your computer via usb, only that AVCHD requires Pay Home Memories to be installed for the AVCHD format. Is this true, and can anyone expand upon this?
    2. One question more. When you import images, or video, must the camera be "on" before connecting the USB to computer?

Thank you for your time. Any, and all replies are most welcome.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The user manual says the PlayMemories software must be installed to transfer AVCHD files. But this only applies to Windows PC's, not to Macs.

3. synoptic12

synoptic12 Member

Actually, I did not specify Windows 7, which is my operating system. However, I'm seeking a definite answer as to whether I "must" use Play Memories to import (AVCHD). Can I just transfer AVCHD files via a USB, such that can be transferred by MP4 (only USB is required, not Play Memories)? Thank you very much for your assistance.

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The manual says you must use the PlayMemory software so I assume it's necessary. I had a similar problem transferring AVCHD files with a Panasonic camera.

5. synoptic12

synoptic12 Member

Thank you very much. However, we never base our conclusions on assumptions, nor assertions; no disrespect here. I believe that this is a Sony Forum, and not Panasonic, therefore I would have doubts, as to whether your analysis may be correct. I am receiving varying opinions, this is why I have been seeking out answers. No definitive response as yet. Again, thank you very much for your concern

6. synoptic12

synoptic12 Member

We have managed to import AVCHD video easily, withouth the use of Play Memories. We just used a free software converter. Absolutely fabulous video and pictures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.