Soon printing some Photos

Discussion in 'Photo Printers' started by rowman, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rowman

rowman Well-Known Member

Hi there,

In the weekend I am gonna print some photos taken with my SX120. I will go to the print store to print it and it is really cheap. 0.12 Euro for 10x15. I guess the papers would be glossy. Any suggestion there for better quality in the prints (including PP)? This is the first time that I want to print some photo.;)

The photos are not cropped very much and are mainly family photos taken during traveling, and will be put under plastic sheets inside the album.

I was also planning for 1 or two 20x30 print, but I wonder the picture quality of my camera suited for that.

Thanks for the advice,

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

If your camera is set to its highest quality (fine) and largest file size (large) settings, you've done all you can do to get the best image quality possible from it.

As long as your camera is set to its maximum settings (as mentioned above), you should have no problem with a 20x30 print.

3. rowman

rowman Well-Known Member

I mainly mean about the PP. These kinds of things like the color issues for example to make colors more pleasing or other tips if applicable. I capture landscape.

4. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, printers, and the services operating them, bring serious variables into play that you have NO direct control over. They may (or may not!), change the density of the image, the gamma, the compression, and/or the color saturation. You can definitely expect the very first print to be a little "off" your expectations. So start with a few short runs of trial prints to get a good idea of what the print service inflicts on your images. Then PP to compensate. Though in extreme cases the final print will always be to the printer's standard, not to yours. In that event find a different print service.

no help Kelly

5. rowman

rowman Well-Known Member

Thanks, Will try it to see what happens.

6. rowman

rowman Well-Known Member

I had some photos printed. most of them were just family photos edited lightly for shadow/highlights, WB at night, and contrast. Never knew that blur might be the most serious problem in print. As long as it is on computer blur is not that much of a problem but when it goes to print (even 6x4") it is disgusting. I try to go with higher ISOs next time and remove noise with PP.

The other minor problem is noise at black areas but It is much worse in print as I think the printer can not print very well black levels. I guess I should clip the black tones below 20.

7. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Or ... it could be that the print process is trying to automatically apply shadow recovery to the back areas? That would certainly generate some ugly noise. And, if this auto process is the case, nothing you can do in PP will ever fix it! Except to get the print service to process without this "feature" turned on. Or try an entirely different print service.

bad news Kelly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.