Sp-550

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by scdworrell, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scdworrell

scdworrell New Member

My husband took our camera aboard a sail boat, which capsized and the camera is now water logged. Has anyone ever dropped a camera in saltwater, and been able to least recover the pictures off the memory card? Can the memory card survive a dunk in the water? I don't mind purchasing another camera, but we are on vacation and with 300+ pictures on the memory card, we would like to be able to save the pictures. :(

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

I read a story a couple years ago about a camera that a fisherman pulled up from the bottom of the lake. I can't remember the exact time period, but they were able to pull images off the card. It had at least been several months underwater.

Just make sure that the card is completely dried out. Any sort of moisture on the electronics would probably short things out. You actually may want to submerge the card in freshwater to rinse it off and to make sure no salt crystallizes inside the card - that may cause problems as well. Pretty hard to say for sure though.

Sorry about the camera and good luck!

3. avisitor

avisitor Well-Known Member

I've run cards through the washing machine in my pants pocket before with out any adverse effect. I'd submerge it in regular water, distilled preferably, let it dry out a couple of days and then pop it in a computer and see if it works. You can even get some Silica desiccant to help dry out the card, although that might be overkill.

4. scdworrell

scdworrell New Member

Thanks so much for the responses. We brought the memory card to a digital service place, and were able to get all the pictures off the card. Yippe!!
    We don't know if the camera is functional as it hasn't dried out yet..but we are hopeful.

5. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

That's good to hear. Good luck with the camera!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.