SP-565 Refurbished ?

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by kevinw, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevinw

kevinw Member

I've found the Olympus SP-565UZ on sale, factory refurbished by Olympus, for $229.00, including a 2GB xD card, case, mini-tripod, and rechargeable AA batteries.....

It appears from reviews to be a decent superzoom, although a little less IQ than perhaps the Panny DMC-FZ28 or FZ35 (more barrel distortion, less effective auto mode, etc)......I would mainly use it outdoors, for hiking and backpacking, so lots of wide angle and a fair amount of zoom use....90 day warranty instead of 12 month. And no returns. The price is incredible, but with the price of the Panny FZ35 now about $300, does anyone know if the price difference would be worth buying a new FZ35 instead of the refurb Olympus? I'm really up in the air over the whole refurbished concept - - I've used Olympus for years as my pocket point and shoot, and have been happy with it (old FE-100)

Any advice?

Thanks - Kevin

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

It's a very good deal on a good camera. However, if you can find the new Panasonic for $300, I'd go for the Panny - better picture quality, faster, better movie mode.

But be careful with internet camera "deals." There are many scam retailers that advertise cameras at great prices but don't follow through. Check the retailer out at www.resellerratings.com

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

I do like the camera, and the price is Ok (not my idea of great). What would stop me in my tracks is this ....
    Find some dealers who will accept returns, and keep your eyes peeled for similar deals (though may be other cameras). When these deals do come along they may only last for days, not weeks. Got my DSLR that way.

Kelly Cook

4. kevinw

kevinw Member

Thanks for the feedback. The no returns thing is a stumbling block for myself as well, perhaps why I didn't pull the trigger to begin with. And the fact that the FZ38 seems to be widely regarded as the superzoom to beat when it comes to speed, image quality, movies, and all around quality. Plus, it's available from reputable internet dealers like amazon, crutchfield, etc.

I really appreciate the input you both put into the forums here, it is great to read your viewpoints and contributions to the digital photo world.

Kevin

5. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Cool. But I wouldn't give up hope on stumbling onto a killer deal. I found my DLSR deal sitting in my neighborhood Target store, of all places!!! Never, never, never, in my wildest dreams thought I would find a killer DSLR deal in a Target. You simply never known, so keep your eyes peeled at all times!

Kelly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.