Sp-700

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by Quikster, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quikster

Quikster Well-Known Member

Anyone use an SP-700? How were the results?

2. Quikster

If anyone cares the SP-700 pictures even though they are 6.1mp are better than the 10.1mp 1030sw. So I got that camera w/ underwater housing for about half the price of the 1030sw.

3. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Interesting. I only vaguely remember the SP-700 - it made something of a splash, as it was one of the first cameras I'd seen, at least, with a 3-inch LCD.

Megapixels have little to do with what I'd define as image quality, and I'm not at all surprised that the SP-700 performs at least as well as the current crop of Olympus compacts.

Thanks for the insights,

dr

4. Quikster

I know megapixels don't necessarily mean anything as my 6.1mp D50 takes awesome pictures, but I expect 2 P&S from the same manufacturer to at least keep quality the same if not make it better 2 years later while adding megapixels.

5. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

You also have to consider the sensor size, though. If they make the higher MP sensor smaller (or even the same size) the noise will be much larger, which translates to image quality issues.

6. Quikster

Yeah, I have no idea what the sensor sizes are on them, and that is the conclusion I came to as well. Because it can't be optics that wouldn't create noise it would cause distortion or barreling so it had to be a sensor issue, I just figured Olympus would have better product design and not just cram as many megapixels on to something to get the number on the box, but obviously I was wrong.

7. David Rasnake

EDIT: Posted before I caught your reply: my apologies. With more aggressive processing to control baseline noise on a sensor with more density, you're also likely to loose as much detail as you gain from increased resolution. Unfortunately, even the most respected manufacturers aren't immune from market pressures to boost resolution beyond the reasonable limits of technology.

dr

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  8. Quikster

Yep guess so. Anyway here's the best example of what I saw:
    SP-700 100% Crop
    [​IMG]

1030SW 100% Crop
    [​IMG]

9. David Rasnake

The 1030 is pretty optically soft, but that's no real surprise for a periscope style lens. Also, the SP-700 has more obvious sharpness processing (that is, you could probably get some of those edges back with a little post-process sharpening, I'd wager).

Remind me: does the SP-700 have a retractable lens, or is it internally contained as well?

Thanks for sharing the shots! Interesting discussion fodder...

dr

10. David Rasnake

Just to see what would happen, I ran a quick Unsharp Mask in PS on the shot from the 1030. Take a look:

P4281262(100crop).jpg

Sharpening is 100%, radius of 2.5, 0 levels threshold. Looks pretty close to what you're getting from the SP-700 to my eye (probably a little oversharp - tone it down a bit and the look is almost identical, though).

dr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.