Spam

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by ifse, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ifse

ifse Well-Known Member

It seems like often at night the cockroaches come out and sell their phones and iPods and video converter software, and they get shooed away during the day. They seem to have infinite patience to open an account to make just one post, until the next night when they open another account.

Can we implement a policy to moderate the first post of every new member, to eliminate or reduce this problem? It seems that once someone gets past the first intelligent post, then they stay intelligent, and cockroaches will always stay cockroaches.

2. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

These cockroaches are a problem. I know we aren't perfect, but the moderators here try to keep them at bay.

3. ifse

ifse Well-Known Member

More spammers than legit posters tonight :eek:

I bought some software, an iPod, a MacBook, and learned photography tips from a LX3 expert.

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I've been away for a couple of days but I'm back now and ready to squash the bugs!:mad:

5. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

Thank god. There have been a lot lately.

6. ifse

ifse Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clean-up. Don't get me wrong - I know it's a tough job policing the site, but the pests were everywhere.

You have the obvious iPod-selling spammers, and then you also have the random garbage generators like this one: http://forum.digitalcamerareview.com/showthread.php?p=42418#post42418. You try to understand what they are talking about, until you realize all they want is to get you to click on their stupid link. *sigh*

7. leaftye

leaftye Well-Known Member

That seems like a good idea, especially since there are not enough moderators to watch the site at all hours every day. They do a lot, but they can't be expected to do it all.

8. Agent 9

Agent 9 New Member

I'm curious who the member "Deals" is and why he keeps posting spam links in the "Digital Camera and Tech Bargains" section?

maybe his account can be banned and have his posts deleted so he doesn't keep posting crap here? I don't get the point of what he is doing... or maybe we can talk to him and convince him not to post the spam/ advertising links (probably to do this first)... I don't think he would listen to me on this site a I am new here, so somebody with some muscle around here could do the talking

9. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I don't think Deals is a person. Unfortunately I don't know of any way to keep out the posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.