Stylus 7010 for concerts?

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by veronicaHITZ, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veronicaHITZ

veronicaHITZ New Member

Hello all! I'm new to this forum, so if there's already a thread on this I apologize.

I go to a lot of shows, and thus take a lot of photos. I usually end up trying all the scenes in the heat of the moment, trying to get the best shot, but missing the opportunity with eyes on my camera instead of the show.
    My question is; Is there a "best" scene mode to use on the 7010 for concerts? Or any settings I can change to make the best of the shots? I sometimes get some motion, and a lot of noise, generally behind the person/group in the photograph, and can't seem to figure out how to fix that.
    I also have a Kodak EasyShare M873, if anyone has some tips for using that in a concert.

Or, is there a camera you would suggest that's best for concerts? My 7010 is only a few months old, so I really don't want to spend more than $250-300 on a new camera already.

If you'd like me to provide examples of the photos I've already taken, please let me know.
    Thanks to anyone who reads this and/or provides feedback in advance!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Concerts are usually shot in low light and performers are often moving. To get a good picture you need to adjust your camera to let as much light into the camera as possible but at the same time keep your shutter speed up to avoid blur. Factors that will brighten the picture are raising the ISO (though raising it too high may make the picture grainy) and widening the aperture (by using as little zoom as possible). Slowing the shutter speed will also brighten the picture but that will probably make pictures blurry, especially when someone is moving. So you can't slow the shutter speed that much.

The Olympus Stylus 7010 has several scene modes designated for low light, including night scene, indoor, candle and night portrait. They all work by increasing the ISO and slowing the shutter speed, some more than others. I would try all 4 to see which gives you the best results (in other words, sufficient brightness and a minimal amount of blur). Remember to keep your use of zoom at a minimum as too much zoom will darken the picture.

3. veronicaHITZ

veronicaHITZ New Member

Thank you Andy, that definitely helps me out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.