taking photos

Discussion in 'Photography' started by carame11, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carame11

carame11 New Member

I use a Canon Powershot A720, can anyone tell me when I turn the flash on when taking pictures outside, I get a better result than when I don't use flash

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I turn on the flash outside to illuminate a person's face when there's a bright background.

3. carame11

carame11 New Member

Thank you for your answer, I'm aware of that but what about taking landscapes

4. Andy Stanton

The flash only influences the area up to 10 or 15 feet away from the photographer, so it won't have any effect on landscapes.

5. carame11

carame11 New Member

That's what I thought, the reason I'm asking is because I went away recently & took the same image, one with the flash on & the without the flash, the one with the flash had better colour, If you don't understand what I mean, just let me know & I will attach the two photos I'm talking about

6. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

If the camera is in its Auto mode, then there may be a little difference in White Balance. Shoot in Program mode instead and you can set the WB to whatever you like.

Kelly Cook

7. Andy Stanton

The Canon A720 is an older camera (I have one but I don't use it anymore). Its auto mode is not as sophisticated as those in more recent cameras, where it will switch to a particular scene mode, like landscape, automatically. So if you want the best possible results for your landscape shot, you'll have to manually set the camera to landscape mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.