The 1" sensor and landscape photography

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by JamieD, Feb 7, 2017.

1. JamieD

JamieD New Member

So, I've been thinking about getting a CX sized sensor camera for a number of reasons, when recently I downloaded one of those handy depth of field and hyperfocal distance calculators.

I plugged in some numbers for 6.7mm to 18.5mm and from f/1.8 to f/11 apertures.

What was particularly interesting was how easily one could achieve hyperfocal settings at f/2.8 and f/4, which potentially could make the format quite handy for landscape work even at relatively large print sizes. download Adobe Photoshop
    Had me looking more seriously at some combination of N1 plus 6.7-13mm or DL18-50. There are close out prices on some N1 cameras, so with the lens mentioned it should price out similarly. The stops aren't really there, though, to do hyperfocal work at brighter apertures. I've read that diffraction basically starts limiting resolution at f/5.6 on these cameras, so perhaps the DL 18-50 will be a better bet, but the experiences of N1+6.7-13mm shooters could be instructive here, especially regarding printability for base ISO files.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018