Thoughts on Z981

Discussion in 'Kodak (Eastman Kodak)' started by kchouston, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kchouston

kchouston Member

Re: Which camera should I buy FAQ (Please read before posting)

Hi! I posted to this discussion board a while ago, looking for a good point and shoot camera. I ended up buying a Kodak 950 and have been okay with it but am still looking for one that zooms far with good clear picture quality. I recently saw the Kodak 981 with a zoom of 26x which I thought was pretty impressive. I've read many of the customer reviews on this camera and it seems that it is a well-liked camera. What are your thoughts on it? Thanks,

Kathy

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I haven't used the Z981 but, based on the reviews I've read and the images I've seen, it's not a camera I'd recommend. Mainly because its default images are very saturated - almost garish. Another minus is that its shot to shot time is slow - over three seconds without flash. Otherwise it appears to be a pretty good camera with a very long zoom lens, but its default colors are not to my taste.

Here are some sample images:
    Flickr: Camera Finder: Kodak: EasyShare Z981

3. kchouston

kchouston Member

Thanks, Andy, for that feedback. The reviews I read on different sales sites told a different tale. They said the shot to shot time was .02 and "loved" the camera. The high zoom feature and the price make it very appealing, but if the pictures aren't any good, it's not worth the any price. I don't like the idea of changing out lenses in a camera. Any other recommendations for a high built-in zoom camera that's simple to operate and takes good pictures?

Regards,
    Kathy

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I've had experience with lots of digital cameras over the past couple of years and shot to shot time has varied from about 1.5 seconds to 4-5 seconds. Once shot to shot time gets above 3 seconds you really notice its slowness.
    I agree but I wouldn't say the pictures produced by the Z981 are poor - they are just not to my taste. Picture quality, to a large extent, is subjective. Some folks love highly saturated images like those from the Z981. I like colorful images but not to that extent.

For full sized ultrazooms I really like the image quality and quick performance of the Nikon P100 and the Panasonic FZ40. If you're looking for a cheaper camera the Fuji S1800 and S2700 are pretty good.

If small ultrazooms (pocket sized) are OK with you, three I think are very good are the Panasonic ZS7, Panasonic ZS5 and Nikon S8100.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.