Time lapse or interval shots

Discussion in 'Photography' started by dhoulette, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhoulette

dhoulette New Member

I'd like to find a digital camera (or else a camera/laptop or camera/programmable shutter release combination) that will allow me to take full-res photos at some user-definable intervals, from a couple of seconds up to a couple of minutes. Most of the cameras I've checked out have a movie time-lapse function, but generally only at 640x480 maximum, and designed specifically for creating a time-lapse movie. I want to photograph a sequence of pictures to tell a story, either unattended or where I might be in the pictures as well. I understand that Nikon used to have some software that could be loaded on a laptop with a connection to the camera that might meet this need, but haven't seen it on their current offerings. Besides, I'd much rather have a self-contained unit. Oh yeah, just to complicate matters - it'd be nice if this were available on a moderately-priced camera, not one of the professional SLRs. Any ideas?

Dave Houlette

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Hi Dave,
    I'm not aware of any compact cameras that come bundled with this feature. For that matter, other than a couple of the Nikons and the old Olympus E-10/E-20, I'm not aware of any SLRs that do either. Obviously, that doesn't mean they're not out there, but this isn't a common feature, especially on moderately priced cameras.

One solution that some pros use is a dedicated shutter remote designed to do time lapse. The one I'm familiar with is called the Pclix, I believe. These remotes cost about as much as a cheap compact camera, however, and you then need a supported DSLR to actually take the shots.

Hopefully others around here know something that I don't...

dr

3. David Rasnake

I did forget to mention that you can currently pick up a used E-10, which is a pretty decent camera all around, on everyone's favorite auction site for under $200 most of the time. It's only a 4 MP camera, but the shots would be fine for most uses.

It's an SLR-style camera, and may in fact be a true SLR, but it does have a fixed lens as I remember, so no need to buy a separate lens.

dr

4. denncald

denncald Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  5. dhoulette

dhoulette New Member

Thanks for the information - found a used E-20 online that I'm considering!

dave

6. dhoulette

dhoulette New Member

Thanks for the info! I'll check this out - I was actually looking for a smaller form factor, higher resolution and self-contained time lapse capability - and the Canon solution addressed 2 of the 3, so it may be the best I can do. Thanks again.

dave

7. RC155

RC155 New Member

Check out the Ricoh Caplio Line R3-7 or the GX GR models

They all have time Lapse built-in for Pictures Not movies.

Not heavily sold in US
    But You can find some used in Ebay.

8. denncald

denncald Well-Known Member

Looks like the Canon SD1000 and G9 both have built in time lapse capabilities.

I'm not certain of other Canon models.

[Edit] I was mistaken, this is through the movie mode at 640x480, which you don't want. :-(

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  9. dhoulette

dhoulette New Member

Did some research on Ricoh's line, found the R8 due in early March, it's EXACTLY what I've been looking for! Got a 28mm-200mm equivalent lens, 10mp, interval shooting from 5 seconds to 3 hours in f5 second intervals (!!), lots of "prosumer" features. I'd never have found this on my own - Ricoh's not been sold widely over here for a while. Thanks for the assist!!!

dave

10. David Rasnake

Great info on the R8. This looks to be an excellent camera from all accounts, so it sounds like it should serve you well.

dr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.