Total novice needs a tip on a specific picture

Discussion in 'Fuji (Fujifilm)' started by 5tevie, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5tevie

5tevie New Member

Hi Guys,
    I have never been a photographer.
    At best, I have been the owner of a camera who knows which way to point it but now I need to take some specific pictures and I could use a helping hand.
    I need to take pictures of a few animals, mostly dogs and cats but with a couple of lizards as well. The snag is that I want to get the animals in perfect focus but have the background, which may only be 2 foot behind them, totally out of focus.
    Is this possible with a Fujifilm A170?
    Thanks for any help,
    Steve

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Yes, it's possible if you take the picture close enough without using the zoom. That means bringing the camera close to your subject.

3. 5tevie

5tevie New Member

So, get closer to the teeth and don't use the zoom?
    OK, I'm brave so I can do that.
    Speaking of taking photographs, is there any logical reason for NOT using the full 10.2 megapixel ability of a camera when taking a photograph? I can see the logic of going lower if you just want to show a picture of the vase you are selling on eBay but surely using the full Monte is best because you can always reduce the size after the picture is taken but you can't enlarge a photo to much when it is taken at 640 x 480 size.
    OK, I can understand that you get less images to an SD card but aside from that .......??

Thanks for the tip,
    Steve

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The reason you don't want to use the zoom is that it will narrow the aperture. To get the bokeh effect (that you want), you need as wide an aperture as possible. But if your choices are use some zoom or get bitten, it's probably best to use the zoom. :)

I agree it's best to use the maximum resolution available and (if you choose to) change it later with software, such as the free program, Irfanview.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.