Transferring images from computer to camera

Discussion in 'Canon' started by windwip, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windwip

windwip New Member

Ive had my powershot A95 for awhile, but I can't figure out how to load pictures onto my camera from my computer. Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Hmmm, I've never had the need to transfer images from computer to the camera, but I gave it a try and had no luck. I'll play around and see if I can figure something out. I also tried using a card reader to put an image on the Compact Flash card, but the camera doesn't recognize it probably because the image was not named in the same scheme as the files that the camera creates, etc.

The camera needs to keep track of the filenames so that it knows how to uniquely name the images. Also, I the camera manages a lot of the permissions on the card.

May I ask what you're trying to accomplish? I may be able to help out better if I knew that.

3. windwip

windwip New Member

well, i wanted to print some pictures that I had on my computer, and the walgreens doesn't have a usb port for my flashcard, so if I had the pictures on my camera card, I could just insert the card and print them

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Wind, you have a lot of terms in that post, let me rephrase and tell us if I get it right.

You have photos on your computer that you want to print. You tried copying them onto a USB drive, but the photo kiosk doesn't support USB. So you want to copy them to the memory card in your camera via USB cable connection to the A95 so you can take the memory card out and use it with the kiosk?

If I'm at least close, the best method is going to be to pick up a cheap USB card reader and move the files over on your PC. They're free after rebate in some cases, so even if you par retail, it shouldn't cost you much. You might also consider burning to a CD, I know most kiosks I've used support that option.

5. windwip

windwip New Member

You got my situation right, one problem is that my CD burner is broken though.
    Im not sure what my memory card is though, its 256 mb and says PQI and Compact Flash on it. Do all USB card readers accept this type?

6. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

You will have a hard time finding a card reader that doesn't accept Compact Flash cards. Take a trip to your local electronics store (Best Buy, Radio Shack, Circuit City) or even some place like Target and you'll be able to find "6 in 1" card readers (Compact Flash, SD/MMC cards, Memory Sticks, Smart Media...). Online, you'll find the best prices, but have to wait for delivery. At newegg.com, I did a search for "card reader" and got a lot of options. Here's one of the readers.

Good luck!

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Right, there are 20+ memory card formats, depending on how you count, but CompactFlash, otherwise called CF, is very common. It will be in almost all multi-formate readers as Ben said, you could also probably find a dedicated CF reader as well.

8. patsy999

patsy999 New Member

just to cover this question:

most cameras do not allow the transfer of files back to the camera. for best results and ease get ya self a card reader from Digiprintuk and that will allow transfer of the images back an forth from any memory card you own.

lovely bit a kit

Patsy

9. jonny818

jonny818 Member

This is very simple to do. JPEG images aren't all the same. Many have extra data on them which is controlled by a certain format. Currently, cameras use the Exif JPEG format while the internet uses the JIFF JPEG format. All cameras who take Exif photos will be able to read other Exif photos. Most cameras, however do not read JIFF photos. Judging from your situation, you have a JIFF photo that you want to transfer to a Exif camera. To know if your photo is JIFF or Exif, simply right-click it on your computer and then roll over to open with and select Notepad. This will bring up a screen with the data of the photo. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WRITE ANYTHING IN AS THIS WILL DESTROY THE IMAGE! The first line will say whether it is JIFF or Exif. If it is Exif, then you can move into the camera, I believe you know how to do that. If it is JIFF, then you will need to convert it to Exif using Quick Exif Editor which can be found through Google. Download and Install and then run the program. When the program pops up, click on Open and then select the image you want to transform to Exif. Then click on a green, + sign. A window will pop up and say Read including undefined tags(maybe dangerous). Click on Yes. Then it will bring up a window that says new Exif Tag. Do not edit anything simply leave it alone. Then click on ADD. The original window will pop up again and now click on Commit changes. Another window will pop and say Save Dialog. Leave everything alone except where it says File modification date. Click on the third option that says Same as Exif tag and from there click on Save. Now go back to the original image which is not longer the original since it is now different. However, the program makes a copy so don't worry. The image can now be moved to camera. It should display correctly. If it cannot, then it still needs further editing and for that, you may need a professional digital photography engineer for help.

10. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

A thread revived after five(!!!) years!

Amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.