tripod question

Discussion in 'Lenses and Accessories' started by kaptain howdie, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaptain howdie

kaptain howdie Member

hello,

i`m a very amature photo enthuasist that has been wanting to get into photography for many years. I have actually held off due to cost factors involved but now with digital technology I jumped in. My newest camera`s are canon sd880, and a panny dmc-fz28. I bought the 880 for its compact purposes, and the fz5 (was a airmiles reward) since i wanted something close to an dslr without the cost.

My next step is a tripod, but i don`t know where to begin. I would like to keep the price around 100 bucks, but since i`m over 6' tall i`m not sure if i can stay within my budget.

any suggestions?

oh yeah, a noob question? Do all tripod heads fit on all camera types?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  2. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

You need to make sure you get the right thread size. You can get adapters to increase and decrease the thread size, but that will add a few dollars. Given the choice just get the right size.

What kind of head to you want on the tripod? Ball head, pan head, etc.?

3. kaptain howdie

kaptain howdie Member

which ever is the least expensive. mostly i will be shooting stills until i become more advanced.

4. spintyer

spintyer Well-Known Member

I went threw this not long ago, I now own one really really cheap tripod(worked, as long as you didn't breath on it while taking a picture), and a cheap tripod(a lot better, but not what I had expected, or wanted), and now I got a middle of the road Manfroto. The Manfroto is not top of the line, but works good none the less, I can push the shutter without getting a blurry picture, I got a pan head with it, which is very good for stills. I also broke down and bought a mono pod with a ball head on it, and have found it very useful. It might be a thought to go to a mono pod, depending what you are shooting, they are easier to carry and setup, but not very good for time lapsed pictures.

I would suggest that you don't take the same route as I did, it was more expensive then buying what I needed in the first place(I thought I could save some money, and it cost me more).

Also when you do buy one, if you ever think you might want a mono pod later, it nicer if the attachment bases are the same. That way you can use base on your camera, and use either your tripod or mono pod.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  5. kaptain howdie

kaptain howdie Member

i went looking today and was close to getting a manfrotto 725b, but i ended up getting a velbon c600. although its primary purpose is for video the movement on the head was so smooth compared to the 725b and for my purposes it was the one. it was also on sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.