1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Trouble photographing skyscrapers

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Myron, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

I have been trying to photograph the progress being made in construction of the new 1 World Trade Center here in New York. All my photographs are ruined because I get swervy lines on areas of high-detail such as windows. What causes this? It never happened with film cameras. Is it that digital cameras cannot support such detail? I have been using 6 MP. Would increasing to 10 MP help? I have no other problems except with skyscrapers. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'm not sure what you mean by "swervy lines". A couple of things to consider, though, when photographing buildings. One is that, from a ground perspective, the sides of the buildings are not going to look perfectly perpendicular to the ground - they are going to look tilted. This is not a defect in the camera but a function of optics. Secondly when shooting at extreme zoom or extreme wide angle you're likely to have some lens distortion - pin cushion distortion at zoom (sides curving in) and barrel distortion at wide angle (sides bulging out). Some lenses exhibit pin cushion and barrel distortion more than others.

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Have you printed any of these shots? Still see those jaggy edges on the print? I bet not.

Pixel peeping can show jaggies, especially with low Mp images. And excessive sharpening can also make high contrast edges rough. With a simple point-and-shoot camera, especially an older one, you may not be able to do anything about that. But the more advanced P&S cameras let you set Fine JPG compression, and milder sharpening. Both moves, especially taken together, should tame the jaggies. If not, then time to move on to a RAW camera. With the additional burden of advanced image processing on the computer.

Kelly Cook

4. Vogelbung

Vogelbung Well-Known Member

Post one. 10char

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.