Turn Orange Light into Yellow Light?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by TrentRezonator, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrentRezonator

TrentRezonator Member

Got a colour theory question here and a problem to solve.

I am getting orange lights shipped to me soon; not just warm white lights, I mean lights with bulbs that are orange so the light appears to be orange.

If I add a yellow colour gel over top of these orange lights, what colour will the light turn into?

A. yellow (or dark yellow/amber)

B. deeper orange

C. other

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

The yellow gel simply cuts down on the blue end of the spectrum. But the orange light has no blue in it, so I would expect to see very little change (dingy orange).

Kelly

3. TrentRezonator

TrentRezonator Member

Thank you for your input. I know in theory, and from testing with paint, adding yellow to orange will simply make the orange more yellowish because orange is already made of yellow, and of course, red.

What I'm concerned about is the fact that colour gels also darken light sources with each gel layer that gets added. I've tested with other different colours and the colour always gets much stronger after a couple layers, but the light dims. That's why I'm really not too sure about this one. My bet is that if I add enough yellow to my orange lights, I will pretty much get something very close to yellow, except my lights will be dim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.