TZ3 Picture Quality

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by MiamiSpartan, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiamiSpartan

MiamiSpartan New Member

I recently got a DMC-TZ3, but I'm not happy with the picture quality. It looks ok at normal size on the LCD, and on the computer (in fit to screen size), but when I zoom when reviewing the pictures on the LCD, and even to "actual size" on the computer, the quality really looks to be suffering. Moreso than my previous 7 megapixel Canon.

I prefer not to be always adjusting the settings, partly because I'm usually taking quick pictures of my young daughter before she stops doing whatever great thing I want to capture. Also, I don't really understand most of the settings. It seems like my Canon would be pretty good on normal mode of adjusting as needed whether inside or out, and taking pretty consistent pictures. I'm wondering if the TZ3 is too advanced for my knowledge/uses?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

2. ogun

ogun New Member

Hi, there,

You can try to properly set your White Balance, as it is critical to picture quality: from the menu, choose White Balance, enter that section, find set or reset, point the lens at a white wall and set it. You should see a marked improvement.

3. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

White balance will adjust the color of the picture far more than it will the picture quality. The quality issues are usually inherent to the camera and/or lens used in that camera. I would think that if the prints you are making from a camera look fine, then there is no need to worry. However, if you are certain the camera should be taking better pictures, you might check something like the ISO and make sure it didn't get accidentally cranked up, which might make the pictures appear worse as you zoom in.

4. ogun

ogun New Member

Yes, you are of course correct. Too often new users of digicams begin to use them without out of the box without the correct basic settings...
    The Panasonic line is well know for its outstanding Leitz lenses (Leicas) and unles the camera is defective, (always a possibility with these electronic things) the piture quality should be excellent. I have to admit my preference for traditional silver-based cameras as I find them easier to manipulate.

5. OldPhotographer

OldPhotographer Member

I recently bought the Kodak Z812 and notice a loss of sharpness in the images on the back lcd panel when zooming in during review of previously taken shots. The details are here...

http://forum.digitalcamerareview.com/showthread.php?t=4088

This may turn out to be a common problem or a design limitation for small digicams with high Megapixel imaging chips. I just do not know yet.

With regard to your computer lcd screen. I do know from my own experience that some lcd's fragment up the image of a picture at some zoom values in photoshop and other imaging programs because the interpolation of the pixels in the image and the native resolution of the lcd just do not match up well.

If you can, put your image files onto a CD-R and take the disc to someone who still has a CRT monitor. If you can zoom in on the CRT with an imaging program and the images look clearer than the ones on your lcd, then you are just seeing artifacting from your lcd - graphics card - and the software drivers for them both.

Please let us know what you find out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.