User views of Canon SX50, considering buying.

Discussion in 'Canon' started by Harvest2003, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvest2003

Harvest2003 New Member

I am considering on buying either a Canon SX50 or Panasonic FZ150/200 in a month or so. I will have around 500 dollars and want the best quality camera for the price. I've read some good to excellent reviews on the camera, however the 1200mm lens is not that important, what is to me is getting decent to good video and photo's indoors for Point and Shoot quality cameras. I'm more into capturing my two young daughters on video before they grow much older, haven't had any good ones for a long time. I'm also into wildlife photo's, scenic photo's and landscapes....also like close up photo's. Since I work at Walmart and get a 10% discount thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot for 30 days, what do you all think.

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

That type of camera is very versatile, especially for video and for wildlife in daylight. Indoors can be the problem area. My indoor solution is to add light, either external flash or cheap studio lighting. The more popular indoor solution is to get an advanced compact with a fast lens. All depends on how much you want to learn about photographic technique, and how important quality results are to you. There is no "one size fits all" solution.

Kelly Cook

3. Harvest2003

Harvest2003 New Member

Ya, that is my concern about not getting the Panasonic FZ200 which has a 2.8 all over lens.

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

For $500 you can afford a DSLR (the Nikon D3100 or Canon Rebel T3) which will give you much better image quality than the Canon SX50 or Panasonic FZ150/200. Though the DSLR's come with a 3x zoom lens, you can purchase a long zoom lens later on if you feel the need. The Nikon D3100 and Rebel T3 also have Auto modes and movie modes, similar to non-DSLR's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.