Using the same SD Memory Card in Different Cameras

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Myron, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

I have 2 digital cameras, a Canon SD 600 and a Panasonic Lumix TZ3 as a back-up. I noticed something strange when using the cameras for playback. Instead of playing back the photos in chronolgical order as usual, the order is often reversed, so the photos taken last, are shown first. I can't figure why this happens. Sometimes, the photos taken by the other camera aren't even shown at all. At first, they seemed to have been deleted but they miraculously reappear. My only fear is that one camera might delete the photos taken with the other camera. I try to use separate Memory Cards for each camera but sometimes I find it impossible.

2. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Well-Known Member

It`s not a good idea to swap memory card between cameras, you should always format the memory card in the camera you are using it in before use, but make certain you backup the photo`s to your computer first!

3. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

Yes, you are certainly right about swapping cards into different cameras but I had no choice as the older camera only had an ISO of 800 while the newer camera had a 1600 ISO. I needed higher sensitivity to record photos of the searchlights in the sky to honor the 9-11 loss of the World Trade Center. The camera with only ISO 800 was unable to capture the lights. However, the ISO 1600 was able to without blur. I wanted the photos on the same card.

4. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 Active Member

Memory cards are not for storing photos. They are for recording in the camera. Or sometimes transferring between computers, aka "sneakernet".

Photos need to be stored in the computer as soon as possible. The card is the worst possible storage.

5. leaftye

leaftye Well-Known Member

I'm not as careful with my memory cards as many are, although I only take pictures for personal use. I've taken memory cards out of my pda, cards that had data in them, and put them into my camera and taken pictures without a problem. I never ever format, I just take pictures, then put the memory card into my computer, copy the pictures, delete the pictures off the card from my computer, and put the card back into the camera.....and worse, I've put pictures back onto the card from my computer.....again, no problems. Not the safest way to do things, but these cards, and the cameras, are not as fragile and dumb as some people make them out to be.

6. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

I wish I could make the transfer. Unfortunately, I don't own a home PC as I have no way to connect into the internet so I feel it would be a waste. There is no Wi-Fi in my area, either. I am now using the PC at a store.

7. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 Active Member

I would strongly recommend getting some sort of cheap PC. Then you can store your pictures and burn the files to CDs. If you are depending on those memory cards for permanent, or any long term, storage of your pictures you are looking for a major disappointment. Back up, at least twice or take a huge chance on losing all your pictures.

That's not trying to scare you but I hope it does. It is NEVER good to HOPE that nothing goes wrong because MURPHY is alive, well and up to his old tricks.

8. leaftye

leaftye Well-Known Member

If you really don't want to buy a computer, you could buy a storage device that's made for taking pictures off of memory cards. I think Sony makes one that puts the pictures on a dvd, and Wolverine makes one that puts it on a portable hard drive. There's also a kit you can put together that's like the Wolverine, but I can't remember what it's called. I think the Sony and Wolverine are about $300, and the kit is less than $50 plus probably another $100 for a hard drive.

Anyway, those options aren't far from the cost of an entry level pc or laptop, so I can't really say they're good options unless you want to take a LOT of pictures during an extended trip away from a computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.