Viewing and Editing videos in Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mary (Los Angeles), Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary (Los Angeles)

Mary (Los Angeles) New Member

I just signed up in this community for the first time today because I'm looking for assistance specifically with my videos shot on the Lumix FZ35. I have some videos I shot during several photo safaris in Africa and want to edit them. Just bought Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11, and in trying to import the videos into this program it says I have to download the latest version of QuickTime. Movie Studio will not recognize the video clips at all. It's as if they are not even there. (I have a PC - running Windows 7 - and I can view the videos contained in my DCIM folders easily through the Wiindows Photo Viewer, as I do my stills. So I know there is not a problem with the video files themselves.) In reading the small print on the QuickTime site just before deciding whether or not to install, there was some comment about earlier versions that led me to hesitate. So I have not yet installed it.

So, because I am not very computer "techy", here are my questions:
    (1) Since I have no idea what version of QuickTime my FZ35 camera uses to shoot the videos, is there an issue with loading a more recent version onto my computer? Will installing the newest version in any way compromise the video files shot in a presumably older QuickTime version? Shall I just go ahead and install the latest QuickTime from the Apple site and it will be okay to start using (and hopefully enjoying) Movie Studio?
    (2) Should I from time to time somehow update the software contained in my FZ35 camera? Or is that unnecessary? I'm very happy with the quality of both the stills and videos my FZ35 takes, so unless there is a strong reason to update the camera software I think I would rather not mess around with it.

As you can probably see very well from my questions, as I said I am not computer techy and just a little afraid of messing up by doing something that seems okay to me but might be big time stupid to someone who knows more than I. So please be gentle in your replies. Thanks in advance for letting me learn from you.

2. Mary (Los Angeles)

Mary (Los Angeles) New Member

Well, I can see that many of you have read this post, but I don't have any responses yet. what do you think? Shall I just go ahead and load the latest version of Quicktime so I can begin to use the Sony Movie Studio software? I presume any differences between that new version and the presumably older version in which my FZ35 actually filmed the videos will not be a problem. YES? NO?
    Please help me - I don't want to mess up.
    Thanks,
    Mary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.