Viewing sizes

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by camdig, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. camdig

camdig Member

I wanted to know what camera's stat affects the viewing size of the picture.

For example, when I look into my room, I can see from the ceiling to the ground. But in the camera's lens, I can only see in between.

Thanks a lot.

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

That's the focal length of the lens (or zoom length). Often you'll see the focal lengths of cameras listed in their 35mm equivalent since the actual focal lengths vary because of different sensor sizes. You'll most often find cameras with a 35mm equivalent focal length greater than 35mm.

For example, the new dual lens camera from Kodak (V570) uses one lens for ultra wide angle (you would be able to see all of your room) that has a 35mm equiv of 23mm. The other lens has a 3x zoom range that ranges from 39mm-117mm. As you increase the focal length, you would see less and less of your room.

So, you'd look for cameras with a low 35mm equivalent focal length. Lenses with a focal length less than 28mm are considered wide angle. Anything above that is a "standard" angle lens.

3. camdig

camdig Member

I see.. Thanks =)

4. Fable

Fable Well-Known Member

So if you were to buy an extra, or add-on lens for the camera, would this effect the focal length?

Im assuming it would.

5. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Yep, many cameras allow you get get a tele-converter lens or wide angle lenses that you can screw on to your point and shoot camera.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.