Wanted: Digital Camera with interchangeable focussing screen

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by nefarious, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nefarious

nefarious New Member

I have a Canon DSLR but I long for the 'old days' of my old 35mm camera when I could manually focus with a decent split prism screen. Autofocus is fine most of the time but I want more control and my Canon doesn't have the manual focussing aids to make it practical. I know you can get professional cameras which you can change the focussing screen but can anyone suggest a good amateur camera with a pop-up flash? Another Canon would be ideal cos i have a lovely lens that ideally I'd like to keep.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Budget: I'm prepared to save!

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

3. nefarious

nefarious New Member

Thx for your reply. I have looked into these but I have read they are fiddly and also can affect the light metering of the camera so, given the choice, I would prefer one i can change within the warranty.

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Canon makes split image focusing screens for its higher-priced cameras but not for its more consumer-friendly DSLR's. Canon makes some excellent lower-priced DSLR's (EOS 600D, 650D, 700D) but you'll need to look at KatzEye or similar companies to get a split image focusing screen for them.

5. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Cameras with EVF often have a built-in "magnify" feature to aid manual focus. But Canon does not use EVF for its better models. Instead look at Fujifilm, Olympus, Panasonic, and Sony.

Kelly Cook

6. nefarious

nefarious New Member

Thanks Kelly. I noticed that Pentax do interchangeable screens but couldn't see one that was a split prism. I miss my old Cosina CT1A from when I was a teen! haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.