1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Wanting to get into photography.

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Roamingdead, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roamingdead

Roamingdead New Member

Budget: $500-$700 A little flexible.

Size: Does not matter.

Megapixels: Would enjoy higher megapixel for editing purposes.

Zoom: Standard preferred.

Image Quality: 10

Manual modes: I would enjoy having manual modes to aid in my learning process.

Camera usage: Short range pictures of insects, plants, and reptiles.

Big prints of photos: No.

Indoor or low light photos: I would think yes, majority of photos will be taken in wooded areas.

Sports or action photos: Possibly, depends on the subject. Some may have wiggly bits.

Preferred brands: Open to any high quality manufacturer.

Models in mind: None.

Special features: Image stabilization preferred as well as a Hotshoe (I think.). Weatherproofing is a must as I live in a humid area.

I would like to get into photography as a hobby. The subjects I have in mind are insects, flowers, and reptiles, a lot of close up work. I do intend to use a tripod if I can for most shots, but that will of course not be possible for some situations. I would also like another lens for more general photos so a recommendation on that would be appreciated. Thank you for any advice and your time.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The least expensive DSLR with weatherproofing is the Pentax K-50, which is a very good intro-DSLR. To get good closeup macro pictures you'll have to either crop your image or purchase a macro lens. Fortunately there are many good quality, reasonably priced macro lenses available.

One thing to consider when purchasing a Pentax camera - Pentax default image quality tends to be more saturated compared to other brands, though it can be toned down in the camera.

Here are some sample images from the K-50
    Flickr Search: pentax k-50

3. MichaelLee

MichaelLee New Member

Awesome Camera, go for it (Y)
    @Andy, I have K-30, i think the difference between K-50 and K-30 is wi-fi right ? :S

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The two cameras are practically identical. The K-50 does not have built-in WiFi but can accommodate an Eye-Fi card to enable WiFi transmission, which was not the case with the K-30. Also the K-50 comes in many, many colors, if that's important to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.