waterproof P&S with time lapse functionality???

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by clb, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clb

clb Member

Hi, I've been searching left and right, trying to find a suitable camera but haven't had any luck.

I know that my existing Canon SD 870 has time lapse video funcionality but I would like to find something better.

Don't really care for much criterias cept this..

- point and shoot
    - size: be able to mount on motorcycle
    - water-proof (or be able to get a WP casing for it)
    - time lapse photography!!!!!!!
    - bonus... if I can actually set the time lapse to different timing like 2 second, 10 second, 30 second, etc.

I know the last option is more of a software issue... but it's funny how my phone camera has those settings that I can choose, yet I can't find it on a REAL camera.

Thanks~!!!!

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Very few digital cameras offer a time-lapse function. The Canon SD1100 IS does have that function. However, the SD1100 IS is not waterproof.

3. clb

clb Member

I wanna ask if anyone can confirm whether the Pentax WS80 or W80 can do time lapse photography till memory is run out? or there's an upper limit as to how many pix it can take before the function trips out?

I was also looking at Ricoh R10 but no clue where I can find a retailer in Calgary, Alberta that sells it.

4. Andy Stanton

Yes, the Pentax W80's movie mode has a sub-mode called "interval shoot" which does time-lapse photography.

This from the Pentax website for the W80 http://www.pentax.jp/english/imaging/digital/compact/optio-w80/faq.html#04_13 :

5. clb

clb Member

6. Andy Stanton

I think it means that the number of images is limited to the space available in your memory card.

7. Hig

Hig New Member

I've used the Pentax Optio W30 and W90 cameras for exactly the application you're talking about. I know others who have gravitated to this line as well.

I've been using the W90 lately, but I think the settings are essentially identical to the W30, and thus presumably to the intervening models.

You're limited to 1000 photos, but that's not the practical limitation. The practical limitation is battery life. On the W90 I've gotten as many as 650 photos with short (10 second) intervals. Sometimes I've gotten way fewer though, even under 300, for not much longer intervals. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I think the batteries may be degrading really quickly. I have 3, and have marked them separately and am recording data. I'll try to remember to post here when I've got it better figured out.

I got as many as 815 images on the W30 (I think it was 25 sec. intervals), and I've heard from other photographers that the older W30 is preferable for its battery life. More experimenting needed there too.

Has anyone else out there experimented with battery life to see what the limits are?

We're planning a 2 month wilderness expedition this fall where we'll be doing quite a bit of timelapse photography, so we're trying to get this all figured out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.