Weekend photographer SLR camera

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Rudlin, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rudlin

Rudlin Member

Hello,

First of all I can't really call myself a photographer by a long shot because I've never done it before, however what I always wanted to do is to have a proper camera to take some fun pictures or nature, mountains and rocky coasts. Now that I have some sterlings to spare I was hoping I could take on with my new hobby.

I find it particularly difficult to find a camera for that most of them have very good customer reviews.

I've seen some nice cameras on UK Amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317828027&pf_rd_i=468294

Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Maybe I'm missing something? I've only looked at the amazon yet, don't know other places I could trust with 500£ online transaction.
    My budget is around 500£.

Thank you

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

The consumer digicams most of us start with produce images straight out of the camera that are ready for printing, posting on the Web, or whatever. DSLR cameras are fundamentally different. They can also produce JPG type images, like the digicams, but these will not be quite as crisp and snappy. To benefit from the full potential of a DSLR you need to shoot in RAW, instead of JPG, then run those RAW images through a series of a few steps in an image editing program on your computer (this process is often called "workflow"). Which in not a high science, anybody can learn it, so long as they don't mind the effort. Nor does this have to be taken in one big bite. You can start off with a DSLR shooting in JPG, ease into the RAW game as time permits. But if you expect you will never want to be fussed with editing, then a SLR-like ultrazoom or one of the new "mirrorless" cameras will be a happier choice. Anyways, both that Canon and Nikon are very popular DSLRs, links to lots more thoughts on those -

http://forum.digitalcamerareview.co...461-just-starting-completely-overwhelmed.html

http://forum.digitalcamerareview.com/what-camera-should-i-buy/29414-need-help-choosing-format.html

http://forum.digitalcamerareview.com/what-camera-should-i-buy/31746-looking-new-dslr.html

Kelly Cook

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

For top quality non-DSLR's in your price range consider the Panasonic LX5, FZ150 and FZ48, the Canon S100, Canon G12, Canon SX40HS and SX260HS, the Nikon P7100, the Sony HX20v and HX30v and the Fuji HS30EXR. As Kelly has pointed out these cameras specialize in JPEG photos that are sharp and colorful even in auto mode. All except the LX5, S100, G12 and P7100 are long zoom cameras which will let you take closeups from a distance. All these cameras receive consistently great reviews.

4. Rudlin

Rudlin Member

Thank you for replies, and yes I have no problems using a computer plus I love open source so I definitely find time to learn a trick or two about RAW photography using GIMP.

5. Rudlin

Rudlin Member

But just out of curiosity I'd like to also ask which of these camera would you choose?

Canon 550D
    Canon 600D (+20£)
    Nikon D3100 (-126£)

6. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

My camera is Canon, so I won't claim to be unbiased. The Nikon D5100 would tempt me more than the D3100. If the lenses are the same, then that 20£ difference between the Canons is not much, I would take the newer 600D over the 550D. But I wouldn't be too fussed about any of these prices. Canon vs Nikon should come down to which design suits you better, and which lens system. Not price.

Kelly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.