Weird endless loop in Pentax ist DS

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by peetucket, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peetucket

peetucket New Member

Hi all,

I've got a 3 year old ist DS which has worked fine up until now. Recently it has developed a strange problem where the aperture ring goes into an endless loop of opening and closing, just like if I were to slide the power switch over to the check-depth-of-field position and back again over and over. This (noisy) problem renders the camera useless, as it locks up the processor and prevents you from accessing menus, viewing images, or taking pictures. If it is switched off for a few minutes and then back on again, it'll work (temporarily) for a couple pictures and then back into the loop.

I've tried reseting the settings, re-zapping the firmware, changing the main batteries, etc. but nothing seems to work. Any ideas? Is there some other secondary battery that might need changing?

Thanks,
    Peter

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

This may sound absurdly simple but have you tried changing lenses?

3. peetucket

peetucket New Member

Thanks and that's a good suggestion, and in fact I did try it. I even tried *no lens* which is when I saw the aperture setting mechanism flipping out (before it was just an unclear to me repeating mechanical noise).

And in case I need to send this in for repair to Pentax, does anyone have any experience with that route? Are repairs generally more expensive than just biting the bullet and getting a new body?

4. Nicky2007

Nicky2007 Well-Known Member

Try sending it in for a service instead. They will be able to tell you if your camera is in need of repair or not. The problem could be due to many factors. Perhaps you could also try reinstalling the software plus any updates.

5. peetucket

peetucket New Member

Thanks. I've actually managed to make the problem go away (for now) by using alkaline AAs. Next up is reasonable NiMH AAs again and see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.