What brand camera do you shoot and why?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CalebSchmerge, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

I think it will be interesting to see what brands people prefer to shoot and why.

I'll start. I shoot Nikon. I like feel of their cameras, and its what I have always known. My dad also shoots Nikon, so I can always borrow his equipment if necessary. Nikon has a great range of flashes, lenses, and other accessories. They also seem to just work well for me. Admittedly, there is a lot of personal preference to it. I also buy Nikon only when possible. I avoid third party accessories, except for bags and tripods and such. Flashes, lenses, bodies, are all Nikon for me.

2. bTaryag

bTaryag Well-Known Member

Mainly Canon.

My first camera was an a620, which I purchased based on the advice I got from Ben on this site. I consider myself somewhat of a "product" of this site.

Once I got one Canon it made sense to get the next one, the a630. I got used to the UI, and across the whole Canon line of P&S cameras the UI and button system is similar, so when I decided to go for a superzoom the S5 was a natural choice for me.

For my own cameras, I will favor Canon over other brands for the forseeable future.

(I also use a Fuji f31 but that's just for indoors, whereas almost all my shots are outdoors with Canon).

3. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Nice thread idea.

I'm not strongly loyal; shooting lots of test cameras hasn't helped in this regard. I started out shooting Canon digital cameras, and still tend to "default" to Canon point-and-shoots for similar reasons listed by bTaryag (I'm also a big fan of the A620...), though I've owned Fujis and Sonys as well. (We'll try to forget the family HP digital camera, one of the first ones, that shot at a stunning 320x240 I believe.)

I learned photography shooting Pentax film cameras, starting on an inherited K1000, and moved through Canon and Nikon film and digital SLR units for work. Continuing a discusssion from a previous thread, I've come back to Pentax DSLRs because of legacy glass support. I still often carry a K1000 body loaded with black-and-white film - something that digital still can't quite touch in my opinion - though I don't do really any of my own processing anymore, which gives up a lot of control I always enjoyed about B&W.

I have a new-ish (ca. 1990) Pentax 67 medium-format film camera with a couple of great lenses as well, and though it's a beautiful landscape shooter I'm lazy about getting film processed these days. Carrying it around is too much of a chore most of the time, which means it's almost never with me when I really want it, and with my shaky hands and its considerable size/weight, shooting handheld is not really an option. Still, the alluring smoothness of 120 film has kept me from doing the right thing and selling it.

dr

4. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 Active Member

Started out in the 50s with RF 35s and 2 1/4 TLRs. Got interested in other things and pretty much quit taking pictures until the early 90s when I got a Canon Photura 35 P&S. Used it quite a bit and it really has exceptional capabilities but it was still just for snapshots and that's all I wanted.

2001 I needed some documentation at work so I got a 2 MP Olympus and liked it. i went Oly because I knew from many years in labs that they do have fine lenses. Then I moved up to an Oly Super Zoom and last year I decided I needed a much better camera for a once in a lifetime family event. I had decided on the Oly E-500 and when I went to punch the "BUY" button, they were out. Looked at the Canons and liked the looks of the Rebel XT. I got it and the Tamron 18-200 and have been happy. Then i got the Rebel K2 35 with the Canon 28-90 and Canon 75-300 and the Powershot S5IS. 220EX and 430EX flashes. Once I went with the Canon XT, there was really no way I was going to another brand. And now I've just got a box way too full of Canon stuff.

That said, at anything less than the top pro level, 1D series stuff, all of the major brands are good. It just seems like Canon and Nikon have the largest lineup of camera model, lenses and other accessories and I think I will happily remain a "Canonite".

5. avisitor

avisitor Well-Known Member

I'm fairly Olympus loyal, however, I don't mind Canon/Nikon, with a slight preference to Canon. My first digital was an Olympus P&S, which I still use occasionally (it's only 1.3MP, but takes good pictures). However, I'm enough invested in 4/3rds that I'll probably be using it for a good time to come. However, I'm not opposed to using a Sigma lens or two, but other than that my equipment is Olympus.

6. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Right now I shoot a Fuji Film s9100 that I got in June of last year. I really like the camera because of the manual zoom and nice EVF compared to other cameras at the time. Image quality is also very good, especially one you learn how to use the camera to its full extent.

My next camera will not be a Fuji unless they come up with the ultimate entry level DSLR, which I think they will not.

7. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I've had a Canon A720IS since mid January and an A570IS (ostensibly for my wife) since the beginning of February. Both are excellent small cameras with good picture quality, pleasing ergonomics and manual controls. My only issue with them is that I'd like more optical zoom, so I can see purchasing a super zoom sometime in the future.

8. southpaw

southpaw Member

I used Minolta film cameras since the mid 70s and when they left the photography business, I felt violated. I recently bought my Pentax snd think it's great. A nice little solid image maker. Their is nothing more I really need, but may buy the 40mm pancake for a walking around lens for street photography. Talk about light weight!

9. camfreak

camfreak Active Member

I ma using a nikon d40x. I use this camera because it is very easy to use for a semi-pro slr.

10. jackaltm

jackaltm Member

I have shot a kodak and a bunch of canons, and an Olympus.I have always preferred canon, and saw it to be the favorite of all the cameras I have used.
    at the moment I shoot a canon a570 IS, which is awesome.

Being just a beginner with photography, I don't feel a need to begin with a high zoom, high mp camera or anything all that flashy.
    I am perfectly content with my good ol canon.

Eventually, though...
    Its actually not even me thats stopping the purchasing of high end cameras and equipment.
    I am still at the teenage age where the parents are putting my money into university funds and stocks, which I completely agree with, but with the money I make from my job, should I have rights to it?
    Not that i want to splurge every penny I've got on camera equipment, but... You know what, I am completely off topic.

Go canon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.