What camera should I get? 200 dollar limit.

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Scou, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scou

Scou New Member

Hey, looking at getting a new camera since my old Kodak Easyshare One stopped working (something with it not getting power from the battery or something).

I'm looking for something $200 or below. I'm not looking for any particular brand, but Canon seems to be a good thing to me.

I'd like something small enough that I can get it in my pocket, so no sticking out lenses or anything, but it doesn't have to be really tiny.

I don't need more then standard optical zoom, but I would like to try to go up to 5x or so if I can.

I'll pretty much be using this camera for anything and everything, but no one thing in particular. I shouldn't be making any big prints of my photos (probably stick around 4x6), so that's the level of quality I NEED. But I do use pictures for computer backgrounds every now and then and wouldn't mind being able to make slightly bigger prints of some pictures for a few extra dollars (for example I'd pay 190 instead of 160 for better image quality).

My biggest issue with my old camera is that it took forever to start up, and generally was slow all around. I'd like to try for something that doesn't take to long to start up, but particularly doesn't take to long to take a picture or between pictures.

I'd also like to go for as good movie quality as I can get from it, but I know that usually jacks up the price, so I'll take what I can get.

In just same random looking around I've glanced at the Canon Powershot A1000IS, SD890IS, and SD890IS (I said Canon was catching my eye :p).

Thanks for the help.

P.S. The more durable the better :p.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The Canon A1000 is a fine camera all around, speedy with good picture quality. The same is true with other cameras in the A series like the A1100 and the A2000 (with a 6x optical zoom). However, they operate on 2 AA batteries, which mean they take a while to recharge after a flash. Canon also makes the SD1200is, a small cameras with a rechargeable lithium ion battery that's at the high end of your price range. The SD1200is is quicker between flashes than cameras with two AA.s It's an excellent camera all around.

Other good small cameras within your price range are the Kodak M1093is, the Nikon S220 and S560, the Olympus FE370, the Olympus FE5010, the Panasonic TZ4 (10x optical zoom), FS7 and FS15, the Samsung L210, and the Sony W220.

3. Scou

Scou New Member

Thanks for the advice, I'll look those up.

About the flash recharge, I've heard that with certain rechargeable AA batteries this can be mostly eliminated. Is that true or just a rumor?

4. Andy Stanton

The flash delay can be improved but not eliminated. I own the Canon A720 which uses 2 AA batteries. I use what I think are the best AA's, Sanyo Eneloops, but I still have a considerable flash delay, though it doesn't bother me. I also own the FZ28, which uses a lithium ion battery, and there's still a flash delay, though not as great as the A720.

5. Scou

Scou New Member

I looked around, and I'm thinking that I'm going to go for a Canon SD890IS. Its got decent zoom and its in my price range. I haven't read anything very bad about it so far. Anyone know a reason why I wouldn't want it?

6. Andy Stanton

The SD890is is a fine camera though its flash recharge time is somewhat slow (3 to 8 seconds). Since its list price was originally $400, if you can buy it for $200 you're getting a good deal.

7. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Canon makes nice gear, and I agree with Andy that these closeout deals make the SD890 IS a tempting choice. If the viewfinder is key for you, a slamdunk. However, the very latest designs from Panasonic and Sony will have a few more tricks in their exposure controls. If you're keen on that sort of thing. Often the newer designs will also feature more advanced video and image processing, especially for high ISO, but that is really splitting hairs.

Kelly Cook

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.