What do you think two 4GB cards or one 8GB ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by camera3d, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. camera3d

camera3d Member

I read some post of a photographer saying he always keeps 2 cards. One he uses and the another card as a spare card.
    He said that if a card gets ruined, wet, damaged it is best to have another one ready.
    Having a large size card 'lets' you store too much pictures on it, and if it gets ruined you lose more pictures. When having 2 smaller size cards, then you must switch them or empty them down to your computer more often.
    Is he right ? anyone here uses more than one card per camera ?

2. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Well-Known Member

I personal prefer the "dont keep all your eggs in one basket" as cards can fail, so i bought a few smaller memory cards than a couple of larger ones.

Also i always format the cards inside the camera before i first use them, and take a couple of test shots to make sure every thing is OK.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  3. johnno7710

johnno7710 New Member

I just use one large (20GB) card, I've never (so far) had a damaged card and I just make sure I back them up on my PC as soon as I can.

4. vicanderson

vicanderson New Member

I would prefer to have two 4 GB. Because in case of one card failure you will have one back up.

May be your friends can demand one card while you guys are on move, in that case also 2 card will be really handy.

5. Tinderbox (UK)

I only get around 300 photo`s on an 8gb card as i save in raw+jpeg which is like 14mb+5mb.

6. antonioatom

antonioatom Member

I would prefer once car of 8gb thats my experience

7. ionamartin123

ionamartin123 New Member

one card of 8gb will be good. Why don't u transfer your data to hdd at certain interval? and when you lose one card, you may go for another. But having one at spare is like getting a 2nd ticket while travelling since insecured about the 1st ticket :D

8. Tinderbox (UK)

A bit of advice buy a good branded memory card, i bought a cheap 32gb sdhc and it fell apart, i now only buy Samsung cards, have a look you will be amazed at how much punishment they can take and they dont cost very much either, it`s a win win :)

John.

9. Kayla Harris

Kayla Harris New Member

I think two cards would be better. Even with 2 cards, we should always backup important photos to our computer since SD cards are easy to be damaged.

10. Frapolo

Frapolo New Member

Each has its advantages. But I prefer a 8GB card since I always make a backup in time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.