What does this Specification Mean ?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by Brahmaasmi, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brahmaasmi

Brahmaasmi Member

I have a Nikon P80 ..I know that it's Lens is ranging from 28 - 486 mm (Wide angelled to Telescopic)

There is a Specification in the Bottom of my camera ..

4.7-84.2 mm 1:2.8-4.5

What does that mean

I undersatnd F stop value is mentioned as 2.8 to 4.5 ,but not clear !

Can someone explain me ? what does that ratio meant for?

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  2. Brahmaasmi

Brahmaasmi Member

Can refer this link , where the specification is mentioned .... Any reply is welcome!

http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-Camera/26114/COOLPIX-P80.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  3. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

4.7-84.2mm refers to the zoom range of the lens. The P80 has an 18x zoom lens.

2.8-4.5 refers to the aperture of the lens as it changes when the lens is zoomed in or out. It's at f/2.8 zoomed out all the way and at f/4.5 when zoomed in all the way.

4. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Your camera has an equivalent or effective range of 28-486mm, but the actual focal length of the lens is 4.7-84.2mm. Why the difference? It has to do primarily with the size of the sensor: because you camera has a smaller sensor than a frame of 35mm film, the lens's actual focal length has to be shorter to perform like a 28-486mm lens would on a 35mm camera.

We use 35mm-equivalent standards (i.e. 28-486mm) rather than absolute focal lengths for convenience, as a way of "speaking a common language" in a sense. But this isn't the actual focal length of the physical lens on your camera; that's 4.7-84.2mm.

As USAPatriot said, the other spec is aperture.

dr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.