What is a good compact point and shoot?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by webdtc, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdtc

webdtc Member

Budget

Less than $300

Size

Small and compact. Able to fit in a pocket.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

Any megapixels on a modern camera ok.

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)

Standard

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Important: 8 or 9 (relative to compact camera image quality)

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?

The more control the better, but not necessary.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

Outdoor scenery, children, animals

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

Might use photos for calendars

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

Some indoor, but mostly outdoor.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

Children and animals.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

I've had Canon and Casio. I like Canon, but brand doesn't matter too much if it's a well known established brand.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

Canon 870IS, Panasonic FX35

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

I'm looking for wide angle and Image Stabilization.

This might be a strange "feature" but I prefer cameras that are metal. I like the weight and feel of them as well as the build quality.

The last time I did research (earlier this year) the Panasonic FX35 seemed to be the best choice. I'd like to find out if that is still the case or if there are newer models that might be better. I read about the FX500, but for the price and features the FX35 still seems good.

I noticed Canon has new models as well and have been reading reviews, but they have so many different models with hard to understand naming (850, 890, 870, 770, 1100, 790). I can't even tell which one is the new model and which is the old. I do know I was looking at the 870IS. I'd like to find out if there is a model that is better than the 870IS.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The Canon SD870IS is excellent. For a smaller camera, the Panasonic FS3 is very good. Another excellent small camera with a very wide angle lens is the Panasonic FX35.

3. webdtc

webdtc Member

Argh, it's difficult to pick one.

I really want one with a wide angle so I think it's the SD870IS or the FX35.

I like the image quality and shooting options of the 870IS and it's cheaper but I like the slightly wider angle and build quality of the FX35...

4. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Both are solid camera's and good choices. It's up to you to pick which one you will like better. Have you gone to the store and handled both cameras?

5. webdtc

webdtc Member

Yes, if I went by feel the FX35 wins. It is smaller and feels a lot nicer. The SD870IS doesn't feel as solid as previous Elph SD models, but it's not bad.

But the SD870IS I think has the features I like more than the FX35. I think I'm leaning toward the 870...

6. jetstar

jetstar Well-Known Member

I think the SD870IS has a slight edge in terms of image quality.

7. Cool guy

Cool guy Member

You might want to consider Sony DSC-W150/170 also. They have good low light image quality.

8. webdtc

webdtc Member

Thanks for the Sony suggestion. The 170 seems to have a wider angle lens. The only thing about Sonys is that I don't have any memory sticks but I have a ton of SD cards. :eek:

9. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

That build quality you mentioned for the Panasonic would influence my choice for an expedition to the remote outdoors. But for most purposes I really prefer the exposure options and flash quality in the Canon.

Kelly Cook

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.