What lenses should I buy?

Discussion in 'Lenses and Accessories' started by IBIubbleTea, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IBIubbleTea

IBIubbleTea Member

Hello guys, I want to start photography but I'm unsure on what kind of lenses I need. I plan on getting a refurbished D7100 directly from Nikon. I plan on doing street photography, family portraits and a bit of sports specify indoor badminton. I have a budget of around $800CAD. I thought about getting a 35mm 1.8 prime and a 70-300 4.5-5.6 zoom lens. Any thoughts?

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

The f/1.8 prime would be good for night photography. But otherwise I would prefer a zoom for street and general photography.

Kelly Cook

3. IBIubbleTea

IBIubbleTea Member

Is there any other lenses you would recommend? Nikon AF-S Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF ED VR & Nikon AF-S Nikkor DX 35mm f/1.8 G seem to fit nicely in the budget. Covering most focal ranges.

4. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Due to the 1.5X crop factor, the 35mm has the field of view of a 50mm SLR lens. Thus no wide angle coverage at all.

Kelly

5. IBIubbleTea

IBIubbleTea Member

Any suggestions then?

6. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

There are a number of zoom lenses that start at 18mm and go up (effective 27mm field of view). This is true for all DSLR with APS-C size sensors. My Canon has an APS-C sensor and my favorite lens is a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, which is also available for Nikon. However, this particular lens does lack the VR feature for stabilization. Which is a big deal for some folks.

Kelly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.