What Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by daropaer, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daropaer

daropaer New Member

Please help me make a decision on a new camera...I keep reading reviews and changing my mind!
    I already own a Nikon D50 which is way too complicated for me (bought by my techno loving husband) and which at this point is only used to take sports action pictures of my 3 boys (mostly soccer & hockey), as I have a 70-300 zoom. But it is complete overkill (as well as too large to carry) for most of my needs.
    So here it is:

Budget:
    up to $350

Size:
    small enough to comfortably take on vacation, but it doesn't have to be a compact, i carry a large purse

Features:
    good zoom (ultra would be great) , i'd love great image quality
    I really don't need manual exposure modes

General Usage:
    kids, sports, vacations, bday parties, indoor family gatherings, etc.
    generally no larger than 5x7 prints

Misc:
    Biggest catch is i really would like a view finder....i can't seem to get used to taking a picture by looking at the screen, i like to hold the camera up to my eye
    Also i really want something with rechargable batteries.

So far i've seen/been recommended the following (not all have a view finder):
    Sony DSC-H50
    Lumix DMC-FZ28s
    Canon Powershot SD890
    Nikon coolpix s560
    Nikon coolpix P80

My head is spinning at this point...can anyone help me with a recommendation? we're going away for winter break in a week, so i'd like to make a purchase immediately!
    thanks!

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

3. SeekAndShoot

SeekAndShoot Member

Go for the Sony! I know two girls that have them and they have no complaints

4. msduckland

msduckland Member

Yeah why not the sony
    [​IMG]

5. daropaer

daropaer New Member

thanks for the feedback.
    i did read some negative things about the button/nagivation of the sony, something about it being too easy to inadvertantly push the wrong selection...

6. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Nikon has recently announced the P90, the successor to the P80, with 24x optical zoom. Kodak earlier announced the Z980 with 24x optical zoom and Olympus the SP590UZ with 26x optical zoom. I expect that Sony will soon make an announcement about a sequel to the H50, which will undoubtedly have much more optical zoom.

You might want to wait until these cameras hit the stores before making your buying decision.

7. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

Yeah I think the Nikon P90 is great, definitely take a look at that one when it comes around!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.