Whats lens / gear for canon t2i?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by skuzzzzy, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skuzzzzy

skuzzzzy Member

So before i made a post looking for a high end point and shoot for my mom, but was convinced to get her a dslr. so i bought her a canon t2i with standard 18-55mm kit lens. also my step dad is ordering her this camera bag,
    Case Logic SLRC-206 SLR Camera/Laptop Backpack SLRC-206 B&H

putting together a list of stuff she'll eventually need to complete her slr setup, plus some stuff she could use now.

Tripod
    Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head - $40

SD Card for 1080p Video Shooting
    SanDisk Extreme HD Video 16 GB SDHC Class 10 Memory Card - $27
    SanDisk Extreme HD Video 16 GB SDHC Class 10 Memory Card - $27

Backup Battery
    Opteka LP-E8 2000mAh Ultra High Capacity Li-ion Battery Pack - $15

Screen Protector
    GGS DSLR LCD Optical Glass Screen Protector for Canon 550D camera - $6

Portrait Lens
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens - $100

Zoom / Everyday walkaround / vacation shooter lens
    Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD Standard Zoom Lens - $300

Macro Lens
    Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Digital SLR Lens for EOS - $400

are the lens listed good enough / needed? 18-55m is decent starter lens from what ive read and its considered a wide lens? i picked the 18-135m because as far as i could tell its near the same as the 18-55m with added zoom?

read the 50mm f/1.8 is amazing for portraits and its only $100.

macro lens im not sure about, is it worth paying $400 for the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM over $70 for Raynox DCR-250 Macro Lens, http://www.amazon.com/DCR-250-Super...SZ2Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323753835&sr=8-1

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

For the walkaround zoom also consider the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. No difference from the 18-135 at WA, but at 85mm the 17-85 has better resolution. For a one-lens vacation, the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS out reaches the 18-135, but WA resolution suffers, compared to both the 18-135 and 17-85.

Macro photography is a specialized game, I would not be in a hurry there. For that matter the 50mm prime can be adapted to macro use with extension rings, etc.

3. skuzzzzy

skuzzzzy Member

would you say the 17-85mm would be good enough for the one-lens vacation aswell as the walkaround zoom? trying to pick one lens to fit both of those needs.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  4. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Tough call. For some folks the 85mm reach of the 17-85 would be Ok. Some would want more reach for picking off distant objects such as boats out on the bay or zoo animals. The 17-85 is good enough that you can magnify the view to a degree by cropping in editing. Assuming you are comfortable with the editing game. I edit all of my images, so I would choose the lens with the better resolution. Folks who are taking snapshots might not want to edit at all, the 18-200 would be their ideal.

Kelly

5. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

You already have the 18-55mm which will be fine for 80% of the shooting situations your mom will probably encounter. Each of the "vacation" lenses you're conidering is 500 grams - over a pound - compared to only 200 grams for the 18-55mm lens. Your mom may feel uncomfortable lugging around the heavier lens as her "walk around" lens.

Why not simply buy her a long zoom lens like the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS - good quality, great range, relatively inexpensive. She could use the long zoom lens whenever she needed the extreme range, which would probably not be often. The long zoom lens plus the 18-55mm lens would cover 95% of all shooting situations.

6. Jim Keenan

Jim Keenan News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Second Andy on this - you've already got 18-55mm covered so rather than duplicate focal range with another lens expand out. The 18-55 kit lens has a close focus distance of 9.8 inches - that's from the subject to the focal plane of the sensor, not the front of the lens to the subject - so at 55mm you have a fairly decent close up capability already. If your mom gets hooked on macro you can always get her the dedicated macro lens she'll need to do 1:1 captures of small objects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.