What's The Difference Between Macro and Telephoto?

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by b08rsa, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b08rsa

b08rsa Member

I have been trying to research what lens will give me the best bang for my buck? Once againg looking to shoot indoor soccer. Here are a few lenses that I have been looking at...

ZUIKO DIGITAL
    ED 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 SWD- $950

Sigma Telephoto 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Autofocus Lens for Oly Four Thirds System - $439

With a Macro lens, is it possible to shoot at a high resolution and then enlarge the picture in Photoshop? I guess I do not fully understand the difference when Sigma calls a lens "Telephoto, Macro"???? Help...

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

In simpliest terms, telephoto is a function of focal length whereas macro is of focusing distance.

In 35mm terms telephoto is roughly 80-200mm. The Olympus 4/3 system equivalents are approximately half those numbers.

Macro can be any focal length; however, the longer the focal length the greater the working distance. For example, a 50mm macro lens would require you to be closer to your subject than a 180mm. Of course, extension tubes can shorten that distance. A macro lens is often referred to as 1:2 or 1:1 or 2:1. This refers to the image size as compared to the actual subject. A 1:2 capures the subject at half life size, 1:1 at life size, and 2:1 at twice life size.

So, in summary, telephoto is focal length: angle of view and magnification are the apparent effects of one focal length versus another. Macro is close focus capability, flat plane image correction (in the optics), and magnification.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.