Which camera should I buy for taking pictures of fast toddlers?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Florida, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Florida

Florida New Member

Which camera should I buy for taking pictures of fast toddlers?

Current camera is Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W5 5.1mpg 3x optical. I dropped my purse and now camera is on the fritz. I always use the camera on the auto mode. I don't like this camera b/c after you take one picture it takes a while b/f you can take another picture. It wasn't a problem b/f I had kids, but now I need a camera that is faster. Also I would like a camera that takes hd videos.

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. $200-250, cheaper would be better

* What size camera are you looking for? Something I can put in a purse.

How many megapixels will suffice for you? 10+

* What optical zoom will you need? Minimum 4x

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 10 important.

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? with my current camera, I always use it on auto mode.

* What will you generally use the camera for? pictures of kids

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? rarely

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? fast moving children :)

Are there particular brands you like or hate? don't want kodak

Are there particular models you already have in mind? olympus stylus tough 6020, nikon coolpix s8000, fuji finepix xp10, samsung tl220 - but reading peoples review, all of them have some kind of bad review, i.e. too slow at taking pix, bad image quality, bad video quality. So I'm very confused as to what I should get.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    Would be nice to have image stabiliztion, b/c with my current camera a lot of the pictures I take of the kids are blurry. Waterproof would be nice but not necessary, as from some review I have read waterproof cameras seem to have bad image quality or slow at taking pictures.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The Nikon S8000 and S6000 are very quick cameras with very good image quality and long zoom lenses. Their interface takes a little getting used to but for someone who likes using Auto mode, you'll have no trouble taking great looking pictures with them.

Here are links to DCR's reviews:
    Nikon Coolpix S8000 Review
    Nikon Coolpix S6000 Review

3. Florida

Florida New Member

Thank you for the quick response.
    What do you think of these cameras?
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR3, Fujifilm F80 XR, Casio Exilim EX-H10, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55​
    I am leaning towards the Nikon Coolpix S8000, but wanted to run these by you b/f I make my purchase.

4. Andy Stanton

5. Florida

Florida New Member

Ahhh.....now I'm confused. Since you said that the others are good camera too.
    I'm going to buy what you think is best. For my needs if you were going to buy one which one would you buy?
    Nikon Coolpix S8000, Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR3, Fujifilm F80 XR, Casio Exilim EX-H10, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55​

Or is there something else instead that you would buy.
    Thanks!!!

6. Andy Stanton

I'd go with either the Nikon S8000 or the Sony H55.

The Nikon is a more attractive looking camera but the Sony is easier to hold because it has a raised section on the right side.

The Nikon's photos have brighter colors and the camera has a nicer LCD screen. The Sony has a more understandable menu system, a wider wide-angle lens and a "sweep" panorama mode that enables the user to take ultra-wide panorama pictures by sweeping the camera from side to side.

They are both very good cameras.

7. mommy5

mommy5 New Member

Hi. I have read this forum and I am also looking for an affordable digital point and shoot that can take pictures of fast-moving children with minimal shutter lag. My Canon digital elph always missed the good shots and now that it is broken I am looking for something faster. I have done quite a bit of research and read many good things about the speed on the nikon coolpix s8000. Is the s6000 just as fast as it is about 90 dollars cheaper and otherwise has sufficient features for me but speed is paramount! Or can you recommend something even faster? Picture quality is also very important and I would like something that can fit in a pocket.
    Thanks.

8. Andy Stanton

The Nikon S6000 is one of the quickest point and shoot cameras available. The Fuji F300exr and Z800EXR are also very quick point and shoots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.