Which camera should I buy???

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Romeil, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romeil

Romeil Member

What budget have you allocated for buying this camera?
    US$ 200-250( Preferably closer to 200)

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    Am buying for my girlfriend so I would like it to be handy...but it wd be ok if its not an ultracompact.

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    8 MP and above

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    I wd prefer 6 or higher but might have to settle for 4x.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    10-This is the most imp...I want a P&S that gives great photos.Also we wd prefer bright colours.

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
    No

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    She will be using it for taking casual photos ans scenery

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    No

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Maybe often

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    no

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    Like- Canon, Nikon and Panasonic
    Hate- Sony

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    Yup...liked the Canon SX 200 IS( out of my range) and also the SX 110(uses AA batteries so had to cancel it)
    Have to consider the SD 1200IS as i feel it might give good photos like other SD's
    Also liked the Panasonic TZ7(ZS3-too costly), TZ6(costly), TZ5(? aged)

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    Image Stabilization and if possible Wide Angle.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Although the reviews are sparse at this point, the Canon SD1200is appears to be a very good camera, as was its predecessor, the Canon SD1100is (which would also be a good purchase for you if you can find one at a reasonable price). Another similar Canon to consider is the SD790is. Other worthwhile possibilities are the Panasonic FS7 and the Nikon S560.

3. Romeil

Romeil Member

Hey Andy thanks for the quick reply. I too feel that the 1200 will turn out to be a good camera but its got very less zoom. Do u think an optical zoom of 3 wd suffice in regular use conditions.
    Also I did like thw Pnasonic TZ5 a lot. What do u think of it..does it compare well with the 1200 in terms of results? Also, it being a 2008 product, do u think its older tech and that I shd go for newer tech or wd u still recommend the TZ5 for us.
    Lastly I really liked the SX110 IS except that it has AA batteries....and the SX200 is way too costly. Isnt there a similar series product from Canon thats in between the two?
    Thanks once again for the replies...
    Romeil

4. Andy Stanton

The Panasonic TZ5 and TZ4 are very good though they are larger than the Canon SD1200is. They do have much more optical zoom than the Canon and a wider wide-angle. If you're going to be shooting mostly outdoors, either Panasonic makes more sense. Indoors you won't need the long zoom and the TZ5 and TZ4 don't have any advantage over the SD1200is.

Don't worry about "old tech" when it comes to 2008 cameras. Lots of the features in the 2009 digital cameras are fluff.

Canon doesn't have anything with a longer zoom than the SD1200is (that doesn't use AA batteries) that's around the same price.

However, Nikon's S560 is a good small camera and has a 5x optical zoom.

5. Romeil

Romeil Member

Hey just one last question....I really am tempted to buy the TZ5 but I dont want to compromize on the indoors picture quality. Which camera do u think will give me the best indoor picture quality...the SD1200 , the TZ5 or any other?
    Thanks

6. Andy Stanton

Probably the Canon SD1200 is superior to the TZ5 in indoor picture quality. But a camera that has them both beat is the Fuji F100fd. It has probably the best indoor picture quality of any small point and shoot camera and a 5x optical zoom. It's something you ought to consider if you can find it at a good price.

7. Romeil

Romeil Member

Hey Andy thanks again for replying! I think the Fuji is out of my range. But if u have any other suggestions do let me know. I think now i am moving more towards the sd1200 except for the fact that it has only a 3x zoom...well i guess at that price we will have to compromise!

8. rp2s

rp2s Active Member

Romeil

You can purchase the Fuji online at:
    http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=FJFPF100&omid=106&ref=cag

$244 US$ "Plus a $100 Rebate" ($144 final price!) They are a very reliable online seller.

[Receive a $100 rebate when you purchase a Fuji FinePix F100FD Camera from 03/01/2009 to 6/30/09. Simply mail in attached form with original product UPC and a copy of the receipt. Rebate form must be received by Fuji by 7/31/09. See form for more details.]

Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  9. Romeil

Romeil Member

Hey thanks rp2s...i will check out the link and i am awre of buydig some of my friends have used it and its a good site. Though I am not sure I want to go ahead with a Fuji...never used one so dont really have a lot of faith in the brand but am willing to give it a try if u guys really think its a good camera with good image results...cause thats whats matters in the end.

10. rp2s

rp2s Active Member

No problem Romeil.

I use a Fuji S100fs, and think it is by far one of the best (non dSLR's as some of them are very high priced) cameras you can buy. I sold my Pentax dSLR, and made the switch to Fuji. My wife has a Nikon D40 w/18-135mm lens, and I see her eying my Fuji behind my back, lol. Good luck in your quest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.