Which Camera to buy?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by kaza, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaza

kaza New Member

Looking at purchasing a new camera and don't have a great deal of knowledge about the ins and outs of digital cameras. Anyway here is my answers to the questionnaire.

Budget: $280 - $340

Size: Fairly easy to carry around in my bag

Features: 6 or greater megapixels (I think)

8 or greater optical zoom (once again I think)

8 to 10 image quality

Manual Exposure Modes - don't know too much about these features - would probably go more for automatic

General Usage

First up to use on my overseas trip to take pictures of family, landscapes, sunsets etc.

After holidays use mainly for picture of kids at school and sporting events.

May occassionally like to make A4 prints but usually just standard photo size.

I would like to be able to have the option to shoot indoor photos and low light photos.

I would like the option to occassionally shoot sport and action photos.

Miscellaneous.
    I have read up quite a bit on the Canon SX100IS which seems to have all the features and price range that I am looking for. The only things that put me off are :-

The manual lift up flash - I don't really fully understand how this will work - do I have to determine when to use the flash or can the camera still determine this?

The main thing that put me off this camera is the review that says it can take up to 10 seconds for the camera to be ready to take the next picture after the flash has been used. I don't want to have to wait in between pictures as this is what frustrates me about my current camera.

I think I prefer the option of AA batteries for my camera as they are easily replaced if the batteries go flat on the move.

If I could find a camera that is pretty much the same as the Canon SX100IS but is faster after the flash has gone off I would probably settle on it.

I would also like Image Stabiliser.

I did also look at Panasonic TZ4 but decided against it because it wasn't AA Batteries.

Many Thanks

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

In order to get faster flash performance than the Canon SX100, you'll need a camera that uses 4 AA batteries rather than two. Canon makes two such cameras, the A650IS and the S5IS. Both are excellent cameras, though more expensive than the SX100.

If you can live without the AA battery requirement, the Panasonic TZ4 and TZ5 and the Sony H3 and H10 are small superzooms in the same general class as the SX100. The Panasonics and the Sonys are quick performers, especially the Sonys.

3. kaza

kaza New Member

Thanks for the reply. I have had a look at the Canon A650IS and it seems to have everything I need. I'm happy to pay the little bit extra if I get a camera that I can be happy with. I did read the review on this camera and I was a little concerned about the noise they talked about at 80 and above - do you think this is something I should be concerned about or would the average person like me who wants to take family and holiday snaps be happy with the picture quality.

I had previously looked at the TZ4 and considered this camera but wasn't so sure about living with a battery pack rather than AA's. Is it possible to carry around a spare battery for it that is charged (will it hold it's charge when not in use). I also read somewhere that the picture quality of the TZ4 was not up to the Canon SX100IS.

Thanks
    Carol

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

If you get a spare battery for your TZ4 and charge it up, it won't lose its power when you carry it around.

The picture quality of the Panasonic TZ4 is good but is probably not the equal of the Canon A650 or SX100.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.