Which Canon camera for my momma?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by tiffjr83, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiffjr83

tiffjr83 New Member

Hi guys, I really need some help. My momma has a Canon T50 (super old, I know!), and she's looking to get a new digital camera. She has her heart set on Canon. I'm looking at the Canon SX30 and the Canon SX120. These cameras will be on sale Black Friday & I'm assuming my mom would like to keep the bulky feel of her old camera. I know nothing about cameras. I want to get my mom a good camera, but not too complicated that she won't never use all the features. She really doesn't get into photography. I know the SX30 looks like it would be better, but I want to get some feedback on it. If you could help me out, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

2. Paul79UF

Paul79UF Member

I wouldn't spend the money on a new SX30 or SX120 if she's moving from that 35mm film camera.

For that kind of money, you could probably get her both a compact SD series Canon and also an older super zoom like the S3 IS.

I have plenty of experience helping my mother pick out electronics. Do yourself a favor and take her to a store and have her hold a bunch of models in her hands.

Good luck :)

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The Canon T50 was a high quality SLR camera. If your mom liked it, I'd think she would want something similar in a digital camera, a digital SLR (DSLR). DSLR's are rather expensive but have excellent image quality and many controls that let the user adjust almost all camera functions.

On the other hand, you say your mom's not really into photography. If that's the case, a DSLR would be too much camera for her and she'd be better off with a good quality point and shoot camera.

The two cameras you've noted, the Canon SX30 IS and SX120 IS, belong to a category called ultrazooms. They are point and shoot cameras, not DSLR's, and have long , built-in lenses, with no option to change lenses as you can do on a DSLR. Their image quality is good, but not DSLR quality. They have many manual controls, which your mother may or may not use. The SX30 IS is larger and has a much longer optical zoom than the SX120 IS. It's also more than twice as expensive as the SX120 IS.

Unless there's something particularly appealing about the SX30IS, you may as well buy the less expensive camera. Also, did you know that Canon has a newer version of the sX120 IS called the SX130 IS? Essentially it's the SX120 IS with a slightly bulkier body and HD movie ability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.