1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Which Canon lens should I choose?

Discussion in 'Canon' started by TuckerAlan, Aug 6, 2014.

1. TuckerAlan

TuckerAlan New Member

I currently have a Canon EOS 60d and I'm looking to upgrade my lens to the Canon EF-S 17-55 F/2.8 IS USM. Now, I'll be using this for pictures including: Landscape, baby pictures and weddings. Now here's my question: Would this be the best lens for all these activities? Should I go with the Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM? Thanks so much.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Both are very good quality lenses but serve different purposes. The Canon EF-S 17-55 F/2.8 IS USM is more of a general purpose lens that happens to do very well in low light thanks to its large F/2.8 aperture. The Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM is an ultra wide-angle lens and is great for landscapes, not so great for portraits.

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Andy nailed this :thumbsup:

The 10-22 would be a very odd choice for babies and weddings. As for landscapes, I have similar lenses for my 50D. They happen to be other brands than Canon (I'm too cheap to pay Canon prices), but the fields of view and aperture ranges are nearly the same. See some examples with both lenses in one of my blog galleries -

http://photographyintro.com/chihuly-art-2014/

Kelly Cook