Which dSLR, Canon XSI or Nikon d90?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Joseph Wong, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph Wong

Joseph Wong New Member

I am new to dSLR. I use manual settings on my point and shoot. But I want to get into the dSLR cameras.

I narrowed down my search of dSLR to the Canon XSI or Nikon d90. I am having ups and downs choosing between both of these.

I will probably shoot most of my pictures indoors, some outdoor shots too (scenaries), and portaits of people.

Should I go with XSI because the body is cheaper in price, and get myself better lenses for what I pay for the Nikon d90? Should I go with the XSI for now and buy good lenses for it to practice, and wait to see what else Canon has in store for the PMA (which is in 3 months)? Wait and see what Canon has in store for consumer dSLR to compete with Nikon's d90? Since the Canon XSI is around a year old now, released Jan of 08.

Or should I just go with the more priced Nikon d90 and that will be sufficient? Doing research, people said that low light was very good with this camera, and can be comparable to the Nikon d300.

Any recommendations on which brand to go, that has cheaper cost lens?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

You'll probably have a little more luck finding Canon lenses for cheap, but overall the cost is about the same. Some prefer the quality of the low-end Nikon lenses over the low-end Canon ones, but it seems to be more a question of personal preference.

Obviously, the choice is yours, and there are advantages either way. If you can spring for it, though, I'd probably take the D90 over the XSi (even understanding that you won't be able to get a really high-end lens initially). The D90 is an amazingly powerful camera, especially in low light.

dr

3. SoCalRich

SoCalRich Well-Known Member

Plus it's the new Nikon Gen2 family of technology..

4. ladip63

ladip63 Member

Hi Joseph
    I'm having the same problem choosing between the Xsi and D90. So I went to Best Buy and got my hands on them and well the D90 fits better. My finger falls right on the shutter button and it comfortable to hold and the Xsi my finger doesn't hit the button so I have to move it down and it fells aqukward to me..But I really like the Xsi and it's price range $600-$700. I keep reading the dpreview.com review for both and gee which one....:eek: So I'm going back and play with them again:D
    Good luck in your decision:D

Lynn

5. SoCalRich

Ok... so which one did you decide on???

6. ladip63

ladip63 Member

The Xsi cause I can afford it right now in the next couple of months....My brother has the EOS300 rebel and really like the pictures..
    I went back to Best Buy and the Xsi feels better now in my hands...

Lynn

7. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

I believe the XSi is a bit cheaper than the D90, but as David noted, the D90, and most Nikon DSLRs have great low-light photos! So its a matter of how much you want to spend, if you're willing to spend a bit more the D90 is great; if you want to spend a little less the XSi is great in that category!

8. Abel1337

Abel1337 Member

I would reccomend the cannon

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2009
  9. SoCalRich

No brainer... D90 is my choice. I'm saving as we speak. I would rather wait and get what I want then spend money and be sorry I didn't wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.