Which lens should I buy for Canon 40d

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Via, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Via

Via New Member

I am buying a Canon 40D. Somebody told me I should buy a Sigma 17-70mm lens instead of the original EF 28-135mm IS lens. Because I am low on budget I can not really afford a pro lens.
    I would mostly work in a studio, doing portrait.
    I was also told that this canon lens is okay for happy shots but nothing more.
    Can you guys help me out here?:eek:
    Which one should I choose?

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

The 28-135 is a perfectly fine lens for the money. Though it's not particularly wide on a 1.6x crop body like the 40D, you won't find the image quality lacking (in my opinion) for the price, and if portraiture is your interest then the 28-135 range is probably a better fit than the 17-70 Sigma (which is a good lens in its own right).

If I were looking for an upgrade, I'd probably consider either the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 or the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 instead for the constant aperture. Ultimately, though, the best advice is probably to get something you can afford initially (again, the 28-135 is a fine lens) and save an upgrade until you know what you want.

dr

3. AaronM

AaronM News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

For studio work, get the Canon 50mm f1.8 II ! At less than $100, there's just no competitor. It's not built as well as Canon's more modern consumer grade pieces, with a plastic mount and such, but has fantastic image abilities, and that extra stop and 1/3(?, perhaps 1/2 I can't ever do stop-math) over the 2.8 gives you the shallowness when you need it. I'd say the 28-135 is a decent all purpose beast, I have it and it's fine, but if you use it more than occasionally, you will be tempted to upgrade.

A

4. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Ah, I didn't even think about a prime (inconceivable!). Yes, a 50mm is an excellent investment, and something you should buy at some point regardless. Problem is, it can be a little limiting as a walk-around lens if you're not used to working with primes (lenses that are fixed focal length - that is, that don't zoom).

[As for the stop math, f/1.8 is actually about a stop and a third faster than an f/2.8 lens (f/2 being a stop faster than f/2.8, and f/1.4 being a stop faster than f/2 - it's a geometric series).]

dr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.