1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

which one? nikon D5200 or D5100?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by thomg, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomg

thomg New Member

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The D5200 is better for several reasons - more megapixels (an advantage with the large sensor of a DSLR), many more autofocus points, more advanced processor, better movie mode. It appears that the D5200 is about $150 more expensive - well worth it in my opinion.

3. funkydoobie

funkydoobie New Member

Well, it looks like Nikon just announced a new D5300 mid-level camera, and it's a winner! It's has the same 24.2 megapixel DX-format sensor as the high-end D7100, a 39-point high-density autofocus system, and a new Expeed 4 processor. It also features built-in Wi-Fi (apparently, you can download images directly to your smart phone...for sharing elsewhere) and a GPS (for geotagging your images). My favorite feature is the 3.2-inch swiveling vari-angle LCD (similar to what the D5200 had).

You can already pre-order now for $800 (body only) on Amazon, and it qualifies for an addition 2% back in Amazon rewards. It looks like the camera will be released on November 14, 2013.

Very exciting!

4. thomg

thomg New Member

Thank you.
    now after farther search i started looking also on the D7100 :)
    it can drive you crazy these kind of desicions.. :(
    Nikon D7100 VS Nikon D5200 | Nikon D7100

i will need to make up my mind soon ... not easy.

5. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The D7100 is excellent but it's considerably more expensive than the D5200 with the same sensor. It's a larger and heavier camera than the D5200 with a few more features and some better specifications but image quality will be substantially the same.

6. thomg

thomg New Member

thanks - i'll probably go with the nikon D5200 then ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.