1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Which one to buy?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by ensol, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ensol

ensol New Member

Hey all, glad to finally have joined this forum...I see some similar threads out there but none to seem to have a definitive answer

I want to get my gf a good camera (I think she has a Canon Powershot now), she enjoys photography and would hardly be considered an amateur photographer (she isn't), but enjoys taking a good picture.

Something that works well when moving fast in a car, takes fast pictures, and in low light (indoor and outdoor)...example, we were in the basement of a winery (obviously a little dark with a few overhead chandeliers that gave off very little light), and the pictures came out blurry and awful, good nature pictures, etc.

Not sure a digital point and shoot is the way to go? Would she NEED a camera with a lens of some sort? Just need something that can fit in her purse

Thanks in advance for your suggestions, prefer around $400 but can spend more if needed

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

So in that basement even your FLASH shots came out blurry and awful? The little purse size cameras have flash for a reason. You can try to do this without flash, but it will take more $$ and skill than just letting the flash fire.

Kelly Cook

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The Sony Cyber-shot HX20v is one of the quickest, small cameras around that's also good in low light and is available for under $300. Its picture quality will decline as the light gets low, but not to the degree you'll find in most point and shoot cameras. As Kelly pointed out, using a flash is often the best alternative in low light.

Here are some images from the HX20v:
    hx20v - Flickr: Search

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.