Which Pentax....

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by map_guy, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. map_guy

map_guy New Member

I have been out photography for sometime and want to finally grab a digital slr. I have some great lenses.....SMC-F300mm, SMC-FA80-200 f2.8, an old smc-m 400mm f5.6 that I want to keep using. Along with an old flash or two.

Most of my shooting would be hiking, nature, and sports related. My last body was a zx-5n. Any suggestion on getting me into the modern digital world. I love my gadgets, but not sure I can swing the top of the line body. But do like being able to play with my toys and don't think I want a beginners model either, backward compatibilty is important as I have a lot of k and ka lenses.

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I think most people feel like the K200D, Pentax's current mid-level model, is an excellent compromise in terms of price to features. You get most of the K20D's tech (sans the higher-res sensor) in a smaller body.

Of the Pentax models we've looked at this model cycle, the K200D has definitely been my favorite.

dr

3. kevinw

kevinw Member

map_guy, I recently bought a Pentax K2000/K-m DSLR, and I'm a serious hiker/backpacker. The size is a great compromise for hiking - - I looked at the K200D also, which has the advantage of a weather sealed chassis, but the extra size and weight turned me back to the K2000. I typically only hike in the summer, and don't anticipate much photography in the rain or dust, so it wasn't a big issue with me. But it might be for you? Just depends. I've been very pleased with the image quality in JPEG (haven't used RAW yet) - - and am looking forward to some summer weather to take some "blue sky" nature photos.

Attatched is a photo of the Yaquina Bay Bridge, over the Yaquina River in Newport, Oregon taken in February with the K2000 in JPEG "best quality", resized for viewing here.

Kevin

Attached Files:

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Great looking photo.

5. leaftye

leaftye Well-Known Member

I really like the K200D, but it is starting to look dated compared to the current crop of cameras with live view and high frame rates. The K2000 is an incredible bargain, but I would prefer more sealing since we get dust and smoke during the hot months out here.

6. Class A

Class A New Member

If you can afford it, the weather-sealed K20D seems to be a good choice for you. Its users love it. It has some nice features, AF calibration for lenses, that no other Pentax camera has.

If you are on a budget then a used K10D may be the right choice.

7. leaftye

The K20 is a great camera, but I'm not sure I'd want to lug that thing thru the woods on a serious hike. The thing would have to be weather-sealed to withstand my torrents of sweat while ascending a difficult section of trail.

8. mikey

mikey New Member

I too had a number of Pentax FA lenses when I moved to Digital. I do a lot of hiking, skiing and snowshoeing in the Rockies and have used the K10 and K20 and found all my film lenses worked perfectly with them, no issue with color fringing. Even the old M42 screw mount lenses from when I was a kid work well, although you do need an adapter which is a pain to use in the field.

I found my 80-200 F2.8 to be particularly sharp but I was told by the Pentax representative that the 14.6 MP is actually greater resolution than most of the FA series lenses are capable of. The K20 is a bit pricey so you may want to look at the K200. Its specs are very similar to my K10 which has given me outstanding results with all of my older FA lenses.

9. leaftye

Are you aware that the K20d body is going for $670 on Amazon? $770 with the kit lens.

The K200d is $525 for the body, $565 with the kit lens.

The K2000 ranges in price from $400 to $630 for anything from body only, body with short lens, body with flash and short lens, to white body with short and long lens.

Personally I'd go with the K2000 for the compact lightweight choice. The K20d is great if you want more options and resolution. I don't see much room for the K200d other than being close to the K20d with its weather resistance, but with the easy and cheap AA batteries of the K2000. If the K20d (or its grip) used AA batteries I wouldn't find myself in a dilemma about which camera to buy, I'd absolutely buy the K20d.

10. mikey

mikey New Member

I live in Canada and unfortunately Pentax prices have not come down as much on the K20 as they have in the US. (Current retail price in Calgary on a K20 body only is C$975 (about 740 US$) , K200 is C$565 ($450US) K2000 is only $30 cheaper here. I have seen threads complaining that Pentax is also not very good with servicing US purchased cameras in Canada. I have not tried the k2000, so I couldn't comment on its quality, certainly has a benefit on the weight. The K20 can be a slug on a tough hike. However if one is going to lug the rather hefty 80-200 F2.8 then whats a pound or two more. For traveling light I still use my old K100. I find the convenience of AA batteries and its lighter weight make it a great camera for light weight travel. It also gave very high quality results for a 6 MP camera.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.