Which superzoom/beginner SLR camera should I buy?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by mmstee, Oct 30, 2016.

?

Which superzoom camera should I buy?

1. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Canon SX540

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Canon SX530

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mmstee

mmstee New Member

I'm looking to update my (very old) camera. I currently have a Canon S5, and I think I'm going to stay with a superzoom camera unless there's a beginner dslr that's within my budget. Here's what I'm looking for:

Budget:
    $350-400 (although I'd be thrilled to find something good for less!)
    Size: Small is not a priority for me
    Optical zoom: I loved having a superzoom but am willing to be talked out of it
    Image quality: a 10. Very important to me.
    Manual modes: yes
    Camera use:
    mainly taking pictures around the home and of kids
    Big prints: want pictures to be of decent enough res to allow for this
    Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Yes, if possible
    Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? Yes (see above, re: kids :)
    Brand preference:
    I've always had and been happy with Canons. Am willing to try something new.
    Other preferences: I prefer an optical viewfinder and rotating LCD, if there's something within my budget with those features

Are there particular models you already have in mind? I was considering the Canon SX540 or SX530. Is the 540 a significant improvement over the 530? And how does the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 compare to those? It's older but does have the viewfinder and rotating LCD I prefer. Is its ease of use/quality/low light performance similar to the 540? Will switching brands bring with it a big learning curve?

I'm open to hearing suggestions of other cameras, too.