Why is the Z1015 cheaper than Z1012?

Discussion in 'Kodak (Eastman Kodak)' started by stckfigure, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stckfigure

stckfigure Member

According to streetprices.com (which I think is more of a general overview than anything, really), the Z1015 tends to be a little cheaper than the Z1012 at the same retailers. That's significantly true at places like Amazon. Is this just a factor of the 1012 being discontinued (if that's even the case)? I've looked everywhere and been unable to find a good, comprehensive review of the 1015, so right now all I know is that it's the same as the 1012, but with a slightly longer zoom. I'm in the market for a good intro camera, and the price point of the 1015 is very appealing, but I want to know that it's a good camera. Does anyone use the 1015, and especially can anyone compare it to the 1012, which gets good, if not outstanding, reviews (at least as compared to the Canon SX10 and the Panasonic FZ28, which are the other two current leading candidates in my mind but are both about 70-100 dollars more). Thanks!

-Jeffrey

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Most likely. We see this a fair amount with cameras that have been out of production for awhile. You can really pay an astonishing amount for a three or four year-old digicam on Amazon sometimes (I saw a Canon SD600, a 6 megapixel camera from a few years back, was listed for over $300 new from some retailers recently).

As for the Z1015, while I haven't shot with this camera, everything I've read (which as you note, isn't much) confirms what you've seen: it carries over most of its tech from the Z1012, and like the Z1012 is a fine camera for casual/general use, if not a great one. If it is very much like the Z1012 as folks have said, in terms of build quality and speed/performance, you'll get what you pay for in the step up to something like the FZ28. But conversely, lots of people find that the Kodak Z models do everything that they need.

Sorry for the ambivalent answer...

dr

3. djmusic130

djmusic130 Member

I have the Z1015is, along with a P880. I was trying to choose the 1015 or 1012 and ended up with the 1015. I like the RAW capablity and the wide angle capability. The actual maximum focal length is almost the same between the two. The 1015 just gives you more on the wide angle side.

RAW is fairly fast on a SanDisk Extreme III 4GB card. It can normally write the file in about the time it takes to recharge the flash. Unlike the P880, the fast card makes a big difference.

The camera only has two aperatures that you can set-full open and full closed. This irritated me, and others, but I've come to realize that offering other settings might be a mute point with such a long zoom. My advice is to choose open or closed then use the zoom and your relative position to the subject to adjust.

This is a capable camera and the colors are wonderful. Like any piece of photographic equipment, you have to get to know it. It does a capable job of lower light situations, though you won't get the results you would with a dSLR. Gym photos are, well, gym photos. The flash has a great range, but shooting from the bleechers is a stretch.

The camera does a nice job in auto, but make sure you are on the latest firmware. It makes a huge difference in processing time.

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

5. pookey

pookey Member

just an additional, Z1015 can recharge the battery in it through USB cable!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.